Texas

My poor babies are terrified now. 3/4 of them ran back to their pen, which is roofed and covered by wire, and most of the rest won't leave my front porch even to chase bugs. The 2 geese and 1 chicken are glued to my hip.

I have no clue what type of hawk it was, it was small, and was a grey color with black stripes on its feather. I'd almost think falcon but we don't have those in Texas do we?
Sounds like a Cooper's hawk...google it and see it that's what you have. We have them and redshoulder hawks. Glad it didn't get your chicken.
Don't know how many falcons but there are peregrine falcons up in the north texas area.

Starfire669 - I have had geese, and I now have about 20 ducks. Because ducks don't roost and don't scratch, they just walk all over the poop on their bedding and mash it down. The best thing I have found is to put down a thin layer of Sweet PDZ on top of the bedding after I clean out their house every day. It helps the poop clump up and not stink.  I go in every day and use a kid's garden rake to pick up the poopy bits and throw them out onto the pile. I rake through the bedding to fluff it up, add a thin layer of shavings on top, then put the Sweet PDZ on last. It really helps make the bedding last longer and keeps the smell down. I get the Sweet PDZ at Tractor Supply. I love that stuff!! And, it is biodegradable and compostable, so it's a win-win for me, the ducks, and the compost pile!

I had two Giant Dewlap Toulouse ganders, and I loved those guys. I had to sell them when I moved but I am already thinking about getting more geese. It is already breeding season for geese, and has been since about February. If nobody is getting it on they are either too young or you have all the same sex!

I was informed the TSC in Pleasonton had Flockraiser feed (am currently ffeding Bluebonnet game bird feed as that was the best I could find). I was gonna go get some. I will look for the Sweet PDZ as well. My nose and back thanks you very much!

My geese are 2 8 week old white Chinese ganders (purchased 6 as straight runs, 1 died, and 3 left for their new homes already), 2 4 week old hatchery sexed female Africans (1 I believe to be male), and 2 3 week old amateur sexed (meaning I sexed them) female Chinese (also think 1 of these is male). The gosling that died was a female, and I had promised a pair to my sister and brother-in-law as his birthday present, so sent the only other suspected female to them with a mate. After determining exactly how many ganders I had, I gave 1 to a friend and, tried really hard to get my chosen 2 ganders mates. But I am having horrible luck. If the 3 and 4 week old goslings end up being males I don't know what I am going to do. I am NOT getting more goslings this season. A friend on here said she would sell me brown and pied Chinese eggs next season, so my boys may have to wait another year for mates. My husband also says that any extra (meaning more than the 2 8 week old goslings, Jasper and Snow) ganders are Christmas dinner.

Sounds like a Cooper's hawk...google it and see it that's what you have.  We have them and redshoulder hawks.  Glad it didn't get your chicken.
Don't know how many falcons but there are peregrine falcons up in the north texas area.

Thanks, it was a cooper hawk. And I think because I was wearing a black T-shirt and sitting in the shade of a tree it didn't notice me. The chickens were doing chicken things, sunbathing, digging in my garden, and chasing bugs. When they cried out and ran for my porch I got up and probably startled the hawk enough to make it miss or veer off coarse. I am very grateful whatever made it miss. My chickens haven't had time to enjoy life yet or for me to enjoy fresh eggs!

Got home from fort worth and sandy is doing much better. She is all perked up and livly. I dont know what was wrong but she seems alot better. I still am gonna watch her for a few days just to be sure. I know one thing these darn chicken sure do keep u on ur toes that is for sure

Does anyone have experience with Bryant Feed, the closest feed store to us carries it? This store is only 4 miles instead of 15 miles.
Also our girls fly down off the roost instead of using the ramp. The roost is 36" high, is this high enough that they will hurt themselves?
I have at least 2" of wood chips on the floor of the coop.

Beginning to think it is stress is what is up with my 3 week old chick we put in 6 new day old chicks in with the 6 3 week old chicks on Friday. This mite be what it is cause I separated it this morning and it is doing better. I got some as a chick both kinds and gave to it a Lillie bit ago. I will keep it separated for a few more days and see.

ANTS!

Please...I need help from Texas people. I have ants in the run. So far it's just the run. I'm new to chickens...so I'm at a loss as how to fix this with the chickens around.

I've had the helpful advice to just feed in the morning and the ants should go away. Ha. Not in TX! I have food in a Grandpas Feeder in the coop, and so far it's safe, but I can't bring it in and out every day (heavy!). But there are black ants in the run. The chickens are only 9 weeks old (tomorrow...my precious babies!) and so don't spend all day in the run and seem to show no interest in eating the ants.

What can I spray around the run and coop? I can do it every day...I don't care about the work, I care only about my chickens and getting rid of ants!

Hello fellow BYC members!!! I will be hatching some Cochins, Seramas, a few silkie/possible showgirls, and a Japanese mix in early July. Also in early August I will hatch some silver laced Wyandottes, of these I might only be able to keep one. I am located in San Antonio, Texas and I'm willing to drive a medium amout to meet you. If you are willing to drive here to pick them up or will meet me and I still have multiple left I will let you choose. Both will be available around November, the bantams will be around 4 months and the Wyandottes will be around 3 months. I am not posting this in the buy~sell~trade forums because this is beforehand and I am only willing to sell to someone in Texas I just need some homes set up for these guys. All of the roosters will be 15$ if I have to drive a substantial amount to meet you to cover gas, but I may give the last few away for free. Please pm me ASAP if you are interested.
Thank you and God bless
-Alicia

ANTS!

Please...I need help from Texas people. I have ants in the run. So far it's just the run. I'm new to chickens...so I'm at a loss as how to fix this with the chickens around.

I've had the helpful advice to just feed in the morning and the ants should go away. Ha. Not in TX!  I have food in a Grandpas Feeder in the coop, and so far it's safe, but I can't bring it in and out every day (heavy!). But there are black ants in the run. The chickens are only 9 weeks old (tomorrow...my precious babies!) and so don't spend all day in the run and seem to show no interest in eating the ants.

What can I spray around the run and coop? I can do it every day...I don't care about the work, I care only about my chickens and getting rid of ants! 

You can pour boiling water down the anthill, must be done over several days to make sure and get the queens. You can feed the ants instant grits, when the grit expands it makes ants explode or something. I think the grits must be moistened, not sure though. I have also been told used coffee grounds repell ants, I have been sprinkling some around my strawberry beds and so far no ants, though I have them in other parts of the yard.

Hope those ideas help and good luck.

ANTS!

I've had the helpful advice to just feed in the morning and the ants should go away. Ha. Not in TX!  I have food in a Grandpas Feeder in the coop, and so far it's safe, but I can't bring it in and out every day (heavy!). But there are black ants in the run. The chickens are only 9 weeks old (tomorrow...my precious babies!) and so don't spend all day in the run and seem to show no interest in eating the ants.

I use cornmeal. You sprinkle it on where they are and when they eat it their stomachs explode
1f637.png
it sounds barbaric but who cares they are ants, and it is all natural. If within 1 week they aren't gone I use the boiling water method

Back
Top Bottom