Texas

Yeah, I've been researching and mostly what I'm seeing is not to start on layer feed until they actually lay. Layer is higher in calcium/lower in protein. Extra calcium hard on chicks' kidneys and they need high protein for feather development. The ones I'm getting are fully feathered so I'm going to put them on grower feed and hope for the best.

I feed my whole flock grower from chicks to adults. I have oyster shell on the side for the hens and grit for the chicks. I ferment their feed, so it just makes it easier to have one kind of feed instead of 3.
I also let my chicks have some scratch once they are on the ground at about 5 weeks old.

Last edited:
I feed my whole flock grower from chicks to adults. I have oyster shell on the side for the hens and grit for the chicks. I ferment their feed, so it just makes it easier to have one kind of feed instead of 3.
I also let my chicks have some scratch once they are on the ground at about 5 weeks old.

That makes perfect sense! I think this is the way I will go! That way, they get the nutrition they need but calcium free choice. Thanks!

That makes good sense...and simpler too. Will go that way. Thanks

So are you sure cause you did some butt painting?

Lol, no. I didn't have to paint butts. Daisy and Ebony were the only 2 ducks in that corner, the other 3 are hanging out on the other side of the house. Since Daisy is much bigger than Ebony, she had to lay the bigger egg and Ebony the smaller!

Now when all my 20+ hens start laying I may have to paint chicken fannies if I see something wrong with the eggs, or if I need to know who is laying and who isn't.
I got the idea from the goose threads, they do it to identify geese eggs for their breeding programs when trying out crosses for color or such.

I hear alot about fermented feed but I think I will just do it like little wing said except not with fermented part. That makes since to me to huggstaff13
I'm considering fermenting myself. I've read great things about it. It's reported to be more nutritious and cuts down on feed costs due to eating less and less waste. I would imagine (assumption only) that they would require a little less water as well, considering the feed is moist. I'm starting out with dry feed but may add in fermented gradually.

Are duck eggs similar in taste to ckicken eggs?

I haven't tried them yet. I hear they are richer than chicken eggs, and goose eggs are richer than duck eggs. I let my mom have this pair of eggs, she used to eat them as a child. When I finally get to taste duck eggs I will be sure to let you know how they taste! Can't wait for tomorrow, I may have an egg for lunch! :drool

Back
Top Bottom