Texas

sorry I wasnt sure size/price my brother just told me they sold it there.

That's about the same price as what's available for small animal bedding at Petco...  I'm with Brookshire.  What is a fair price for a deep-litterish amount of straw?  We haven't built our coop yet or need actual deep litter, but the more dry, clean straw I can get for a decent price, the easier life is going to be.

google "straw for horse bedding" & if your in the Houston area all the feed stores used to carry straw because of the racetrack, don't know about now :)

if your in the Houston area
We do what we can to avoid the Houston area whenever possible. It's crazy over there!
wink.png

That's about the same price as what's available for small animal bedding at Petco... I'm with Brookshire. What is a fair price for a deep-litterish amount of straw? We haven't built our coop yet or need actual deep litter, but the more dry, clean straw I can get for a decent price, the easier life is going to be.

I use the pine shavings, less then $5.00 for a large bag

I use the pine shavings, less then $5.00 for a large bag
Do you use that for outside too?
Mine Free range more than I had originally planned, but I still like to have something down in their run, other than just dirt.
Also, I've heard mold straw stories, but it seemed to be when it got wet INSIDE the coop. If it's out in the run, and gets sun, will it dry back out fine? Or should I toss it?

By the way..I JUST found this breeder...why can't I be rich?
http://thefancychick.com/fancychickorders.html

Yall keep talking about straw is that the same as hay? If so around here I can get a large round bail which is about 1500lbs for $35. It can be stored out side and use as you need it.

Yall keep talking about straw is that the same as hay? If so around here I can get a large round bail which is about 1500lbs for $35. It can be stored out side and use as you need it.
I couldn't tell you the difference between straw and haw..so I used the term everyone else was using
tongue.png
. I'm a suburban girl but I'm working on it
wink.png

straw has a bit more stalk of the wheat and barley plants and different types of hay like alfalfa are available depending where you are. but those other types of hay are for livestock like cows through my grams used alfalfa hay for the nest boxes year round but for the most part yes it is the same thing.

Mine Free range more than I had originally planned, but I still like to have something down in their run, other than just dirt.
Also, I've heard mold straw stories, but it seemed to be when it got wet INSIDE the coop. If it's out in the run, and gets sun, will it dry back out fine? Or should I toss it?

it you have mold problem like we do here i would suggest sand it's cheaper per bag then pine shavings doesn't mold and can be scooped like cat litter and doesn't have to be changed but once a year but it is more heavy so you may need a man or a back-brace to help you

good god i just saw their prices and i have to say
ep.gif
(to bad their isn't a heart attack animation) thats one of the reasons why it took me so long to get chickens in the first place
hide.gif

it you have mold problem like we do here i would suggest sand it's cheaper per bag then pine shavings doesn't mold and can be scooped like cat litter and doesn't have to be changed but once a year but it is more heavy so you may need a man or a back-brace to help you
My man can't lift anymore...hernia surgery. Lol. Aren't you in the DFW area? Is mold big here?

good god i just saw their prices and i have to say
ep.gif
(to bad their isn't a heart attack animation) thats one of the reasons why it took me so long to get chickens in the first place
hide.gif
I know...they're BEAUTIFUL, but...$25 a chick (at the cheapest) and a 10 chick minimum....yeah...maybe in my dreams
roll.png
lol

Back
Top Bottom