Texas

My experience has been that most pre-fab coops off the Internet are absolute crap. Just take a look at Amazon/eBay reviews. It seems build-your-own is the best way to go. As the old saying goes: the only barn you are happy with is your own.
That being said, I don't currently have time to build my own right now (too any criminals). I am seriously thinking of buying a storage shed and converting it to a coop. Anybody have good/bad experiences with such or things to think about/tips?

That's what I did, took a storage building and converted it. I am not happy with it at the moment though, will be making adjustments and tweaks. Just make sure to cut lots of ventilation, maybe add some fans to push/pull air out of the coop. I added 1 fan, it's not enough, so I got a second and will install it today. I am also preparing to cut a large winow, cover that with hardware cloth, and add a rain guard over it. After all the muggy rainy days, I don't want to close their window and cook them. I used landscape timbers for roosts, they love the thick beams. Though some get up into the rafters at night, lol. Probably because of the fan blowing air up there. I haven't done a pop door, really no need as I open the main door and leave it open during the day. My yard is completely fenced, so they range the whole yard. My nest boxes are currently inside the coop, I'm more concerned about repairing damages and then ventilation, I'll get to hanging the nest boxes out off the side after I get everything else done. My ladies are only 17 weeks old. Nest boxes can wait.

These storms really tore us up. All the rain cause the right side of the coop sink into the mud a couple inches. I have to raise and re-level it and add new footings. The lightning strike that fried half my house fried the coop breakers too. House electrical is fixed, now it's the coops turn. Good thing that my hubby, my dad, and myself all can do electrical, we have to completely replace the whole box and re-wire the coop. My house sank in the back where rain flooded into the laundry room. If the weather holds I'm going under the house this weekend to try and stop further sinking. (I am the only 1 who can go under the house or coop, everyone else is either too big or terribly clostrophobic) but i am not allowed under there without at least 2 other people home. Both for safety and to relay whats happening as I pump the jacks. Keep your fingers crossed and pray the house don't snap as I move it!

Last edited:
There is so much misinformation given without true knowledge it is pathetic. That is why if I do not know for sure my answer would be correct I would not respond with an answer such as was given Harley!

My Grandson (Cameron David) decided he was gonna make his appearance in this world yesterday instead of being induced today.

He arrived shortly after 1300 hrs and weighs 7lbs even and is 20 inches long.

We call him our miracle baby as he had a knot in his umbilical cord. Fortunately it was not tight and no ill effects!!!
God was watching over him!!!

Thanks for asking Ken!!!

David

Congrats! Now pics please!

That's what I did, took a storage building and converted it. I am not happy with it at the moment though, will be making adjustments and tweaks. Just make sure to cut lots of ventilation, maybe add some fans to push/pull air out of the coop. I added 1 fan, it's not enough, so I got a second and will install it today. I am also preparing to cut a large winow, cover that with hardware cloth, and add a rain guard over it. After all the muggy rainy days, I don't want to close their window and cook them. I used landscape timbers for roosts, they love the thick beams. Though some get up into the rafters at night, lol. Probably because of the fan blowing air up there. I haven't done a pop door, really no need as I open the main door and leave it open during the day. My yard is completely fenced, so they range the whole yard. My nest boxes are currently inside the coop, I'm more concerned about repairing damages and then ventilation, I'll get to hanging the nest boxes out off the side after I get everything else done. My ladies are only 17 weeks old. Nest boxes can wait.

These storms really tore us up. All the rain cause the right side of the coop sink into the mud a couple inches. I have to raise and re-level it and add new footings. The lightning strike that fried half my house fried the coop breakers too. House electrical is fixed, now it's the coops turn. Good thing that my hubby, my dad, and myself all can do electrical, we have to completely replace the whole box and re-wire the coop. My house sank in the back where rain flooded into the laundry room. If the weather holds I'm going under the house this weekend to try and stop further sinking. (I am the only 1 who can go under the house or coop, everyone else is either too big or terribly clostrophobic) but i am not allowed under there without at least 2 other people home. Both for safety and to relay whats happening as I pump the jacks. Keep your fingers crossed and pray the house don't snap as I move it!

It seems lack of ventilation is the primary complaint of this approach. I will need to cut lots of supplemental holes. In addition, I plan on cutting and hinging a long rectangle right at the roost level(perhaps on both sides) that can be opened when needed for additional airflow. Here in West Texas, the wind never really quits blowing, so if I have cross-ventilation, I doubt I will need fans to move the air.
Question: I currently have 22 chickens (8 23-week olds and 14 6-week olds). They are free range, and the coop is used only for sleeping (and perhaps terribly inclement weather). A 200 sq ft run is in place, but like I said, they are allowed to roam all over a 5.5 acre property. Under those conditions, what square footage should I be aiming for in the coop? Keeping the inevitable chicken math in mind of course.

I named them before I even owned them! Is that sad?
yippiechickie.gif

Carly

Welcome to BYC! I am in Lubbock as well. Started this chicken thing at the beginning of the year. I have a flock of seven 23-week old pullets that are beginning to lay, and a group of fourteen 6-week babies about to come out of the brooder (2, maybe 3 are roos). Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll help if I can.
Did ya'll get crazy amounts of rain at your place this week? We are in South Lubbock.I think all in all we got between 5-6 inches! I have never seen my backyard flooded like that. My husband got his fishing pole out and pretending to fish off our patio. Kids thought it was pretty funny. I did see that the place where my chicken run is going to be will be a huge mud pit if I don't add some soil to it.

Back
Top Bottom