Texas

@TherryChicken - This is our "Chicken Yard"...It's a 400sqft fenced off section of our back yard. This is an old pic, back when we first got the coop & flock (which originally came with 5 ducks, that @Starfire669 now has). Since we no longer have the pool, I'm thinking the doghouse/coop would go there (directly under a shade tree). With it's own attached run, the Ladies can get to know the Girls before they are fully integrated. I'm so excited! So is my husband, I can tell...he likes building things, and this gives him something to build. Ha-ha! Our daughter (she's 4yrs-old) learned with the Ladies that our chickens aren't snugglers, so she's stopped trying to catch/hold them...but she does enjoy getting to pet the Ladies now that they squat for us. ;)
haha sounds like you got it made

I guess I need to ask if having chickens and a snake live together on the same property is even possible. We have always had mice here, and Patches did OK keeping the population under control. But now that we have chickens I have seen more mouse signs. The mice are after the feed, they chewed through a Rubbermaid tote to get to it, it's now in a metal container. But mice and rats also go after eggs and young chicks, so having a snake help control the population would be nice, but not at the risk of losing some of my flock.

Will a snake go for a full grown chicken? Or will it just eat the mice and an egg here and there that are laid outside the coops?
Apparently Ferret poop and pee, because it is in the weasel family, will keep snakes from entering the coop. I haven't been able to locate a friend with a ferret willing to bring me bags of ferret bedding to try yet, but I would like to.
I think our biggest feed munchers were the squirrels. I have NEVER seen a rat snake take on a full grown chicken, highly unlikely. :)

Originally Posted by Starfire669

I guess I need to ask if having chickens and a snake live together on the same property is even possible. We have always had mice here, and Patches did OK keeping the population under control. But now that we have chickens I have seen more mouse signs. The mice are after the feed, they chewed through a Rubbermaid tote to get to it, it's now in a metal container. But mice and rats also go after eggs and young chicks, so having a snake help control the population would be nice, but not at the risk of losing some of my flock.

Will a snake go for a full grown chicken? Or will it just eat the mice and an egg here and there that are laid outside the coops?

I doubt even a big snake will go after a full grown chicken, but I have had them get through spaces you would have sworn there was no way that dang snake would fit, and eat ducklings. Of course, with that duckling-shaped bulge in his gut he couldn't get back out that tiny hole. That was his last duckling...... So, if you want to keep him around just be sure that there are NO spaces where he can get into your coop or brooder when you have little ones in it.

Quote:
Well I think I have figured out what happened. My house backs up to a bayou, so I have no back neighbors. When I was going to get the chickens I asked specifically the two neighbors next door to me if they would mind. One, a guy and his wife, didn't care at all. The others, didn't as well, BUT they just put their house on the market Sat and they had an open house on Sun. Their realtor was there for 3-4 hours. I think she may have heard or seen them (they have a 2 story house) and told on me. The funny thing is, not 2 months ago, 3 doors down, a sweet couple with two little girls, moved in and THEY HAVE CHICKENS!! We have become best buds. I have not told them about this, but I am going to ask if they would keep my 8 chickens (they have a HUGE backyard) for a couple of months and let this die down. I have no doubt that when the realtor is out of my face, ie, the house is sold, I will have no further trouble. I am also putting a lock on my gate so no one can get in my backyard. Hopefully this is going to work.

Quote:
Well I think I have figured out what happened. My house backs up to a bayou, so I have no back neighbors. When I was going to get the chickens I asked specifically the two neighbors next door to me if they would mind. One, a guy and his wife, didn't care at all. The others, didn't as well, BUT they just put their house on the market Sat and they had an open house on Sun. Their realtor was there for 3-4 hours. I think she may have heard or seen them (they have a 2 story house) and told on me. The funny thing is, not 2 months ago, 3 doors down, a sweet couple with two little girls, moved in and THEY HAVE CHICKENS!! We have become best buds. I have not told them about this, but I am going to ask if they would keep my 8 chickens (they have a HUGE backyard) for a couple of months and let this die down. I have no doubt that when the realtor is out of my face, ie, the house is sold, I will have no further trouble. I am also putting a lock on my gate so no one can get in my backyard. Hopefully this is going to work.
I hope that works for you and you can keep your girls. I love living in the country - I'd rather have a neighbor who lives in a 20 year old camper than have an HOA.... Oh wait, we ARE the neighbor who lives in the camper... :)

Back
Top Bottom