Texas

Just got a notice from my hoa saying I have to get rid of my chickens. Against their rules. UGH!!!
Any ideas on how to fight this???
That sux big time!!!! I hope you can get the rules changed. I think it was hensfortherapy who was having trouble with her hoa or neighbors or something.

I hope that works for you and you can keep your girls. I love living in the country - I'd rather have a neighbor who lives in a 20 year old camper than have an HOA.... Oh wait, we ARE the neighbor who lives in the camper...
smile.png
LOL I agree with you. I'll take coyotes and critters over HOA's any day!!

I found this bad boy on Craigslist for $25 & thought to myself, "this would make a perfect 2nd coop!". My husband doubted it would fit in my van, but I had faith...
tongue.png

Here it is, snug as a bug in a rug in my van.
smile.png
It took two people to get it in there, so I'll wait for my husband to get home to help me unload it.
tongue.png

I want to add a run to it, and a door, and then it should be all set. WooHoo!
big_smile.png
How awesome is that?! Way to go!

built this out of some 8 dollar plywood it was my first try at a nesting box im going to put in my coop this weekend :)
thumbsup.gif

Just got a notice from my hoa saying I have to get rid of my chickens. Against their rules. UGH!!!
Any ideas on how to fight this???
WHAT?!

Quote: Keep us in the loop! I can't believe that....I hate HOAs. We're lucky enough not to have one where we're at.
My SIL lives in one and they're having issues with their dog barking (Along with EVERY other dog around it) and legally, the HOA can order them to get rid of it or take its voicebox. Awful...
I hope they back off! I don't know why people have such a problem with them, especially just hens!

lovingmyhens...I hope you can fight this and get the rules changed. I don't see why there should be a problem with a few chickens, they are not that noisy. All of us here take good care of their birds and keep their coops clean so odor should not be an issue either. I am so thankful that I live in the sticks. I agree...I'll take bugs, snakes and critters over anyone telling me what I can do on my property that I paid for and own! Hoa are just a bunch of high minded folk that make alot of money from home owners and provide minimal anything. I have a problem with a few people telling folks who pay their bills and take care of their home what they can or can't do. Don't come on our place and tell me I can't put my flag on a pole or park my boat next to my house. We have dogs that bark for a reason...protection a dog that can't bark isn't much help there. We even shoot guns out here and since pretty much everbody has one nobody says a thing. I know that's not the way of suburban life but still their (Hoa) restrictions are often absurd. Sorry...Just had to say all that...I'll get off my soap box.

Didn't intend to offend anyone and I don't know why the text font is different...Sorry for my rant...I've had family issues with Hoa before wanting to come into our neighbor where I used to live, most everyone fought and it never happened, but what they were going to put in place was ridiculous.

I've got good news and bad news.

I've been working on teaching my chickens how to roost. I started putting them on the roost at night this past Sunday. Every night I would go out and a few more would be on the roost, but some would still be huddled under the brooder. I went out tonight to check on the chickens. Everyone is up on the roost! I didn't have to put anyone up there tonight. It only took 4 nights of placing them on the roost for all of them to learn to get up there.

Bad news, my Jack-Rat terrier appears to have been snake bit sometime this afternoon. I noticed him earlier standing around with his head cocked. I thought he had a tick in his ear. He gets those from time to time and they are a bugger to get out. Makes his ear really sore. I tried to look in it, but he kept whimpering, so I let him be planning on getting him on the porch tomorrow in the sunlight and checking out his ear. Hard to see a tick in the evening even with a flashlight and reading glasses. I checked him again when I came back from the coop. He usually goes with me, but didn't tonight. That is when I could tell his jaw/lower lip was swollen. I planned on taking him to the vet tomorrow, but just remembered tomorrow is the 4th, so won't be open. He only weights 18 lbs, so don't know how it will turn out.

You can give them benadryl, but I don't have any injectable and there is no way he can take the oral. Keep your fingers crossed for me. He's my little buddy.

I've got good news and bad news.

I've been working on teaching my chickens how to roost. I started putting them on the roost at night this past Sunday. Every night I would go out and a few more would be on the roost, but some would still be huddled under the brooder. I went out tonight to check on the chickens. Everyone is up on the roost! I didn't have to put anyone up there tonight. It only took 4 nights of placing them on the roost for all of them to learn to get up there.

Bad news, my Jack-Rat terrier appears to have been snake bit sometime this afternoon. I noticed him earlier standing around with his head cocked. I thought he had a tick in his ear. He gets those from time to time and they are a bugger to get out. Makes his ear really sore. I tried to look in it, but he kept whimpering, so I let him be planning on getting him on the porch tomorrow in the sunlight and checking out his ear. Hard to see a tick in the evening even with a flashlight and reading glasses. I checked him again when I came back from the coop. He usually goes with me, but didn't tonight. That is when I could tell his jaw/lower lip was swollen. I planned on taking him to the vet tomorrow, but just remembered tomorrow is the 4th, so won't be open. He only weights 18 lbs, so don't know how it will turn out.

You can give them benadryl, but I don't have any injectable and there is no way he can take the oral. Keep your fingers crossed for me. He's my little buddy.

I'll definitely keep him in my prayers tonight...I hate it when things happen and the vet is not open! You really feel helpless.

Thanks guys! For all your kind words and thoughts...I really needed some encouragement. I live in a massive subdivision. I think that once the excitement dies down, I will be back in business. I know for sure that my neighbor 3 doors down, loves his chickens and will not want to get rid of them. If I could get my flock down to 7 (I do have 3 that were inherited) it might be better, sound wise. They really do like to announce that they have laid an egg, or cured cancer or whatever the heck they make noise for after they have laid!
But there is only a few members of the HOA and like I said, a massive subdivision. So, I will see what I can do with these for a couple of months and hopefully the house will sell quickly.
The people moving are building a house and it will be ready next month. I just can't believe they can afford 2 houses and so I know they will be anxious to sell. I will keep you updated.

There was a lady on the Texas thread a couple of weeks ago...ganda is her BYC name and she is really close to me. We are meeting on Monday and it will be my first meet up with someone on here. I'm really excited! Lisa and I have been trying to meet but alas we are just really busy women!!
Laurie, you better get the guest room ready cause I am going to come see you!! Next summer would be fabulous!!!!!

Give him some milk. I'd heard this many times so when my daughter's dog was bite by a rattlesnake (about two weeks ago) she tried it and by the next day he looked so much better. I believe they also gave him something for pain. I'd probably still go to the vet, too. Hope he gets better soon. We've had two dogs bit in the past by rattlesnakes, a blue heeler and a rat terrier.

BTW- we prayed for our dogs, too. It works!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom