Texas

Hello fellow Texans!

Though I have known about this site for a while, I just now joined. I have a small (apx 20) backyard flock of several breeds including Americaunas, RIR, Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington and one very old Speckled Sussex hen. I really like Speckledy and would like to get some younger Speckled Sussex. I was wondering if anyone knew of any place within an hour's drive of Cedar Park, TX where I might be able to get a few pullets.

I'm also curious about blue feathered Americaunas and any color Swedish Flower Hens, though those might be out of my price range.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Check Craig's list!

Well my second hatch seems to be doing great with 8 days left. This time I bought a thermometer that has a probe and shows the humidity and it seems to be maintaining much better this time. Hopefully I won't loose as many as I did last time. Also I found the perfect size water weenie at the dollar store and it is about the same and weight as the eggs

Well my second hatch seems to be doing great with 8 days left. This time I bought a thermometer that has a probe and shows the humidity and it seems to be maintaining much better this time. Hopefully I won't loose as many as I did last time. Also I found the perfect size water weenie at the dollar store and it is about the same and weight as the eggs
Ooh..what kind of eggs are you hatching?

OWW!

So - my girls are getting into the swing of things and giving me an egg a day from each bird. Today, someone layed this monster:

I can't even get the carton to close:

I'm not positive who did this. I suspect it's Danerys the Black Sex Link, but I checked everyone for prolapsed vents and didn't see anyone walking funny.
hu.gif

I know this thing can happen from time to time, but should I be on the lookout for any environmental or congenital problems that may be raising their ugly head?

OWW!

So - my girls are getting into the swing of things and giving me an egg a day from each bird. Today, someone layed this monster:

I can't even get the carton to close:

I'm not positive who did this. I suspect it's Danerys the Black Sex Link, but I checked everyone for prolapsed vents and didn't see anyone walking funny.
hu.gif

I know this thing can happen from time to time, but should I be on the lookout for any environmental or congenital problems that may be raising their ugly head?
Wow!!! Now that's an egg!
I have a RIR hen that lays eggs nearly that big. It takes her awhile to make one and they are almost always double yolks. She's been laying about 8 months and she hasn't had any issues so far. I'd really like to try and hatch one or two. Don't know if they are fertile and I only have bantam brooders so she could only set one or two that size!

Found my little white leghorn dead in the yard yesterday. Cause of death unknown. DH said it didn't look right Tuesday night and it didn't want to stay on the roost but on the floor. I feel badly that it died. Such as it is...I count it not too great a loss...it was another roo...and I already have 4. Just didn't get to raise it up to a good freezer size.

Mix DE into the feed yesterday to try and deworm any that might be wormy. Will see what happens.

Got about another month or so and will start looking for eggs from our spring group. The wyndotts, a maran and my brown leghorn pullet, Hazel.
Wow...just did the math...We are truly over run with chickens...in 8 months we have gone from 17 to 44 birds if I count the 6 newest members.
And I wondered why the feed bill doubled...DUH!!!

Ooh..what kind of eggs are you hatching?

There are a mix of Easter Eggers, Aruacana, Brown Leghorn, Plymoth Rocksand maybe a few Calif. Whites. I bought them from a lady down the road from me and she gave me a mix of what she had. So all I know is that I am going to have the variance of color that I wanted. I did get one too out of the last hatch and now I have to finish making a lid for my brooder because he won't stay in it

There are a mix of Easter Eggers, Aruacana, Brown Leghorn, Plymoth Rocksand maybe a few Calif. Whites. I bought them from a lady down the road from me and she gave me a mix of what she had. So all I know is that I am going to have the variance of color that I wanted. I did get one too out of the last hatch and now I have to finish making a lid for my brooder because he won't stay in it
Good luck with the Araucanas! I hear they're hard to hatch because they carry a gene having to do with the ear tufts that kills a good amount of them.

Back
Top Bottom