Texas

On the rarer side I think.
I think they're so pretty. It's hard to find breeders though, I wouldn't mind working on developing them eventually.
I ordered her and her sister from Ideal though, which is in Cameron, TX.
smile.png

They're a stockier bird, but with the beard/muffs like an Ameraucana.
What part of Texas are you in?
We have a pretty good variety of breeds up here near Dallas, within an hour/ hour and a half drive.
But I had a hard time finding Salmon Faverolles, Orloffs, and Australorps anywhere close, so I ordered.

I'm south of Dallas/Ft.Worth over near Stephenville in Comanche county. Ideal is pretty good, depending on what breed you get. I have silkies, barred rocks, and cornish bantams from them and the silkies aren't the most quality, but they're cute nonetheless. The other two breeds are doing pretty well, even though I am still not sure what kind of red cornish they gave me is..its probably just a variant.

Oh! I know where Stephenville is!
We just did an order for some apartments there.

We sell and install playgrounds :)
Lol

Yeah, this was my first order from Ideal. My first batch was from Meyer. Didn't have a good experience with them shipping from so far, but the girls that survived are awesome.
Not sure where my Silkie girl is from. She was an "extra" from an over-order, so I picked her up in Princeton.
I'm pretty happy with Ideal so far. Besides the scissor beak chick, all of them are healthy, and I'm still 95% sure they're actually all pullets...
fl.gif

I love the Russians. If they keep on track, I'll probably work on breeding some later. I researched a little this morning and they are definitely in the minority. They're not even in the APA anymore. They we're scratched in 1899 due to lack of interest.

I have a SF pullet w/ scissor beak too. She's 6 weeks tomorrow and doing pretty well. I noticed she's starting to look smaller though.
I'm going to start fermenting her feed soon I think. I'll try a small batch out on her then maybe switch the whole flock over.

How does he do with drinking? And do you notice if he gets food stuck in his lower beak?

Penny Peeper (Blue Splash Marans/Amauracana mix) is approximately 16wks old now. Looking back at pictures of when we got her, at 8wks old, there were no signs of misalignment. Could be an injury, or a birth defect that will get more prominent as she gets older. As of right now, I have not noticed any eating or drinking problems...and she is growing at the same rate as her sisters. I don't see a need to correct this, but I may check out the scissor beak threads to see if this might be (or become) something I should worry about.

Update:
D.gif

Our Ladies - The 3 Easter Eggers & 1 White Leghorn (the remaining 4 from our original 5) are all a little over 10 months old & doing fantastically.
Our Young Girls - The 3 Blue Splash Marans/Amauracana mix are approximately 4 months old & doing fantastically.
Our Older Girls - The 2 French Black Marans are approximately 5.5 months old & doing fantastically.

Looking forward to Bootsy & Barbarella (French Black Marans) laying eggs...well, they are next in line to lay. I hope their eggs are as dark and rich as they were promised to be.
thumbsup.gif

On the rarer side I think.
I think they're so pretty. It's hard to find breeders though, I wouldn't mind working on developing them eventually.
I ordered her and her sister from Ideal though, which is in Cameron, TX.
smile.png

They're a stockier bird, but with the beard/muffs like an Ameraucana.
What part of Texas are you in?
We have a pretty good variety of breeds up here near Dallas, within an hour/ hour and a half drive.
But I had a hard time finding Salmon Faverolles, Orloffs, and Australorps anywhere close, so I ordered.

I have a SF pullet w/ scissor beak too. She's 6 weeks tomorrow and doing pretty well. I noticed she's starting to look smaller though.
I'm going to start fermenting her feed soon I think. I'll try a small batch out on her then maybe switch the whole flock over.

How does he do with drinking? And do you notice if he gets food stuck in his lower beak?

Not too far! Welcome!!
He does real well drinking..I suppose he could just be sucking the water, but whatever he does, its working. I've never seen food stuck in the lower beak...perhaps he can push it on back with his tongue. Sometime he does rub off his beak after eatting, but I think he's just being tidy. If she's not growing, perhaps you can lust pour some water on the crumbles. it absorbs very quickly. You wouldn't have to wait a couple of days for it to ferment..that's gotta be ok too
smile.png

Penny Peeper (Blue Splash Marans/Amauracana mix) is approximately 16wks old now. Looking back at pictures of when we got her, at 8wks old, there were no signs of misalignment. Could be an injury, or a birth defect that will get more prominent as she gets older. As of right now, I have not noticed any eating or drinking problems...and she is growing at the same rate as her sisters. I don't see a need to correct this, but I may check out the scissor beak threads to see if this might be (or become) something I should worry about.
If she's older she'll probably be fine without too much intervention :)
May just be a little smaller than the rest. Bubbles has started falling behind in growth, just a tad, but she's definitely my spunkiest.
She MAY eventually require special feeding, but not yet!

Update:
D.gif

Our Ladies - The 3 Easter Eggers & 1 White Leghorn (the remaining 4 from our original 5) are all a little over 10 months old & doing fantastically.
Our Young Girls - The 3 Blue Splash Marans/Amauracana mix are approximately 4 months old & doing fantastically.
Our Older Girls - The 2 French Black Marans are approximately 5.5 months old & doing fantastically.

Looking forward to Bootsy & Barbarella (French Black Marans) laying eggs...well, they are next in line to lay. I hope their eggs are as dark and rich as they were promised to be.
thumbsup.gif
They're lovely!
Glad Fred doesn't have you worried anymore!
Can't wait to see pics of those Marans eggs!

He does real well drinking..I suppose he could just be sucking the water, but whatever he does, its working. I've never seen food stuck in the lower beak...perhaps he can push it on back with his tongue. Sometime he does rub off his beak after eatting, but I think he's just being tidy. If she's not growing, perhaps you can lust pour some water on the crumbles. it absorbs very quickly. You wouldn't have to wait a couple of days for it to ferment..that's gotta be ok too
smile.png
Glad to hear that!
And good idea! I'll try that!
Sometimes I bring her inside and feed her separately, but I have to be careful of the dogs so, that's rare.

Lost my best girl today
hit.gif
she was like a dog, followed me around, clucked with delight when I came out to the coop, and if I sat down would run and jump into my lap to be held. She was a blue silkie hen a little over 1 year old named Scarlett, my best chicken in over 8 years of raising chickens, I balled and am balling my eyes out just thinking of her. I found her under the coop(the coop is on little legs) all sprawled out with no obvious signs like blood, feather loss, foam at the mouth, or any sign of injury; which makes this harder not knowing what happened to her, if she was in pain, or if I was at fault
hit.gif
. any ideas of what happened to my baby girl?

(her in the blue towel)

(her in the back)

Back
Top Bottom