Texas

How did everyone come up with their farm/hatchery/business names?
I just realized while I was filling out my application for the APA that I need a "Show name"...

I planned on something in the future but..it kind of blindsided me. I can't use any land features..because we rent and wont actually be breeding here yet
But I guess I need to come up with something sooner rather than later
hmm.png

My wife is Greek (well, Cypriot, actually), so we used part of a traditional greeting during Easter, and ended up with Anesti Farms. I would try to identify something that is unique to you, your birds, or your situation and expand on it. Everyone has "creek" "wood" and "river" - come up with something unique and interesting!

I named my place Cackling Ranch after an inside joke. My best friends mother used to call us cackling hens all the time... Mostly in our teen years, but, we still shriek in each others presence.

How did everyone come up with their farm/hatchery/business names?
I just realized while I was filling out my application for the APA that I need a "Show name"...

I planned on something in the future but..it kind of blindsided me. I can't use any land features..because we rent and wont actually be breeding here yet
But I guess I need to come up with something sooner rather than later
hmm.png

We got ours as a take off from my consulting business name - Polaris is the name of the North Star, and we like to sail boats and hubby was in the Navy and you use the North Start to navigate by, and in my consulting business, I help attorneys navigate healthcare records and such for their legal cases - thus "Polaris" described some of what I do in my consulting work and it also fit something that is part of our personal lives. We decided to continue the Polaris theme for our farm name. Adding the word "star" to it, helped it roll off the tongue easier and differentiate it from other farms that were using "Polaris" and "North Star". So we ended up with Polaris Star Farm. Because it isn't tied to a town or a piece of land, it can travel with us, since we have a goal of moving to a much larger piece of property.

If you want something totally unique to you, do an internet search for the name, also do a search to see if the name has been taken by anyone on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc, and also if anyone has registered that name as a domain name already. And make sure to search using variations of the name, adding in hyphens, etc.

Once you come up with a name, make sure to immediately register it as a website domain name - even if you have no plans to put up a website, that way nobody else can take that name and use it. And also make social media pages under that name. If you don't, it leaves it open for other folks to name their stuff by your name, and then take the website domains away from you and the social media pages - which if you ever decide to sell anything, people could confuse you with the people who have the same name as you do, but they took the names first online. Also, if you don't claim the website domain name and social media pages under that name, there are crummy people who will take your farm name and register a domain name and put it up on social media sites, and then try to sell you the domain and social media pages at an incredibly inflated price.

So always think ahead, and if you're going to do a farm name now, then make sure to protect that farm name for your use in the future even if you don't have any plans to do much with the farm thing right now.

Last edited:
We got ours as a take off from my consulting business name - Polaris is the name of the North Star, and we like to sail boats and hubby was in the Navy and you use the North Start to navigate by, and in my consulting business, I help attorneys navigate healthcare records and such for their legal cases - thus "Polaris" described some of what I do in my consulting work and it also fit something that is part of our personal lives. We decided to continue the Polaris theme for our farm name. Adding the word "star" to it, helped it roll off the tongue easier and differentiate it from other farms that were using "Polaris" and "North Star". So we ended up with Polaris Star Farm. Because it isn't tied to a town or a piece of land, it can travel with us, since we have a goal of moving to a much larger piece of property.

If you want something totally unique to you, do an internet search for the name, also do a search to see if the name has been taken by anyone on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc, and also if anyone has registered that name as a domain name already. And make sure to search using variations of the name, adding in hyphens, etc.

Once you come up with a name, make sure to immediately register it as a website domain name - even if you have no plans to put up a website, that way nobody else can take that name and use it. And also make social media pages under that name. If you don't, it leaves it open for other folks to name their stuff by your name, and then take the website domains away from you and the social media pages - which if you ever decide to sell anything, people could confuse you with the people who have the same name as you do, but they took the names first online. Also, if you don't claim the website domain name and social media pages under that name, there are crummy people who will take your farm name and register a domain name and put it up on social media sites, and then try to sell you the domain and social media pages at an incredibly inflated price.

So always think ahead, and if you're going to do a farm name now, then make sure to protect that farm name for your use in the future even if you don't have any plans to do much with the farm thing right now.
You always have such good advice!
You having a consulting company makes total sense ;)

Thanks again!
I've been reading up on some naming ideas and were looking for something personal and non-location related so it can travel as well. And also something that can encompass our future endeavors. You never know, we may branch out in the future

I just grabbed my dad's old company name; Tall C Inc, except I called mine Tall C Arabians. Showed and bred for a while, now I'm mostly a small boarding stable, endurance competitor and chicken raiser and egg seller. Already had the dba, so just tucked the chickens under the same banner.

I am south San Antonio.

I'm near you! South of San Antonio off 37.

That's Texas swap thread is dead. Idk what else to do but that thing is about 0.1 above useless.

It could be a good thing, but I think it would be better if we were divided up by Tx area. North Tx, East Tx, west, central, south. I think it would be great to be able to trade, but I just can't make a 5 hr dr to Dallas area whenever I want.

Cool! I'm actually just outside the city limits myself! I have mixed chickens, and I currently have some Cayuga duck eggs and Chinese geese eggs in the bator. :fl for a good first try at hatching!

Your brave! I have the incubator running also, but chicken eggs due in two weeks. I hope.

Good luck with the hatching.I have never tried that. I would need to be on unrestricted land in order to do that. I would probably want to keep all the babies that hatch.

That's always my problem. So far I haven't given away anything I've hatched...

Back
Top Bottom