Texas

Duck thread, I liked the pic. I love cayugas :)

I also love Cayugas, I special ordered mine when I couldn't find them locally. I'm tempted to get a few more from somewhere else so I can add new blood and prevent inbreeding. But I don't need a lot, just 3 more hens so I'm waiting until I'm ready to order some other birds as well.

Cayugas are awesome. What else lay black eggs.

My Cayugas lay a grayish blue egg, not the black I was told they would. But I got mine from Ideal hatchery, so they may not be "pure" though they look pure. Regardless, the eggs are pretty and stand out from white eggs nicely. The eggs are also tasty! I also love that my Cayuga drake isn't nearly as sexually aggressive as my previous Pekin drake, that Pekin abused his ladies and injured them often.

I almost got Swedish ducks, but then found Cayugas and I fell in love. So happy I went with them, they are laid back and easy to work with. It also just so happens that my husband was born and raised on Cayuga lake, so it's fitting I went with them, lol. I didn't know that Ithica New York was on the lower end of Cayuga lake until after I got my ducks!

My Cayugas lay a grayish blue egg, not the black I was told they would. But I got mine from Ideal hatchery, so they may not be "pure" though they look pure. Regardless, the eggs are pretty and stand out from white eggs nicely. The eggs are also tasty! I also love that my Cayuga drake isn't nearly as sexually aggressive as my previous Pekin drake, that Pekin abused his ladies and injured them often.

I almost got Swedish ducks, but then found Cayugas and I fell in love. So happy I went with them, they are laid back and easy to work with. It also just so happens that my husband was born and raised on Cayuga lake, so it's fitting I went with them, lol. I didn't know that Ithica New York was on the lower end of Cayuga lake until after I got my ducks!

I was wondering how ideals cayugas are. Good to know. I want to order a cayuga and some magpies but I'm out of room. I want Swedish too... I'm bad because I want all the breeds. I love black East Indies but they are hard to come by. That's great that they all hatched! They grow so fast so enjoy the cute little things while you can.

I was wondering how ideals cayugas are. Good to know. I want to order a cayuga and some magpies but I'm out of room. I want Swedish too... I'm bad because I want all the breeds. I love black East Indies but they are hard to come by. That's great that they all hatched! They grow so fast so enjoy the cute little things while you can.

Where did you get your Cayugas from? Are their eggs darker than mine?

Part of me still wants some Swedish ducks, but I honestly don't have the room for them, so if you get some please post pics, I can enjoy yours from a distance, lol!

I only have a few days with these babies, I only tried to hatch them because my sister really wanted some as pets, and some of my female ducks and geese insisted on brooding, so I thought why not? Then the geese crushed most of their nests (goose eggs) and the duck (duck eggs) abandoned hers, so yeah, poor babies had a rough start. They will leave me on Sunday to go to their home and start bonding to my sister. 2 goslings will also go to a home with a friend a week or so after hatching, but the rest I get to keep and enjoy watching them grow up, so hoping that these surviving goose eggs hatch ok despite their moms clumsiness.

I also have someone else wanting some ducklings, but she wants 3 to start with. So I will have extra fuzz butts from that hatch to enjoy! Hopefully the next time round the mothers stay committed and don't crush their nests! But I will keep my incubator ready just in case.

Where did you get your Cayugas from? Are their eggs darker than mine?

Part of me still wants some Swedish ducks, but I honestly don't have the room for them, so if you get some please post pics, I can enjoy yours from a distance, lol!

I only have a few days with these babies, I only tried to hatch them because my sister really wanted some as pets, and some of my female ducks and geese insisted on brooding, so I thought why not? Then the geese crushed most of their nests (goose eggs) and the duck (duck eggs) abandoned hers, so yeah, poor babies had a rough start. They will leave me on Sunday to go to their home and start bonding to my sister. 2 goslings will also go to a home with a friend a week or so after hatching, but the rest I get to keep and enjoy watching them grow up, so hoping that these surviving goose eggs hatch ok despite their moms clumsiness.

I also have someone else wanting some ducklings, but she wants 3 to start with. So I will have extra fuzz butts from that hatch to enjoy! Hopefully the next time round the mothers stay committed and don't crush their nests! But I will keep my incubator ready just in case.

I don't have any cayugas, but my husband is trying to get one off of craigslist. The woman just needs to sell her male duck first so he isn't alone when then female cayuga goes to us. I have a blue runner, fawn and white runner, welsh harlequin and white layer. They all came from Metzer and are only 9 weeks old. So a few more months before eggs. Sounds like a full house at your place! It seems that ducks don't sell very well in the Austin area. I wish more people have a better variety of ducks, most seem to have pekins and rouens.

I don't have any cayugas, but my husband is trying to get one off of craigslist. The woman just needs to sell her male duck first so he isn't alone when then female cayuga goes to us. I have a blue runner, fawn and white runner, welsh harlequin and white layer. They all came from Metzer and are only 9 weeks old. So a few more months before eggs. Sounds like a full house at your place! It seems that ducks don't sell very well in the Austin area. I wish more people have a better variety of ducks, most seem to have pekins and rouens.

It's very full over here, 17 chickens, 2 roosters, 3 ducks, 1 drake, 6 geese, 1 gander, plus 6 large dogs, 1 outdoor cat, and 6 indoor cats (3 of whom I'm looking for homes for as they are rescues and I couldn't leave them to die), my 2 kids, my husband, and myself. I basically have a miniature zoo, lol. Only thing missing is the goat!

If you are interested in ducks I might be able to get you some fertile eggs from my Cayugas. I sometimes travel to Austin and Dallas for dog shows (I have Siberian Huskies) timing would be tight but doable I think. I'm scheduled to steward at the dog show in Austin on Feb 14, 15. (Stewarding means I'm not showing my dogs, they won't even be with me, they aren't ready yet. But Phantom will show in San Antonio March 8-10, and both Phantom and Angel will show in Dallas March 14, 15).

It's very full over here, 17 chickens, 2 roosters, 3 ducks, 1 drake, 6 geese, 1 gander, plus 6 large dogs, 1 outdoor cat, and 6 indoor cats (3 of whom I'm looking for homes for as they are rescues and I couldn't leave them to die), my 2 kids, my husband, and myself. I basically have a miniature zoo, lol. Only thing missing is the goat!

If you are interested in ducks I might be able to get you some fertile eggs from my Cayugas. I sometimes travel to Austin and Dallas for dog shows (I have Siberian Huskies) timing would be tight but doable I think. I'm scheduled to steward at the dog show in Austin on Feb 14, 15. (Stewarding means I'm not showing my dogs, they won't even be with me, they aren't ready yet. But Phantom will show in San Antonio March 8-10, and both Phantom and Angel will show in Dallas March 14, 15).

Thank you for the offer but I have no way to hatch eggs right now and I really do have to keep my flock numbers down. I'm in the suburbs and I really like my neighbors. We already have 3 dogs and a cat and people that we were nuts before we got the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom