Texas

looks like he is loving it.glade it worked out
He likes the newer hens we have. Maybe because they will hang on the roost with him. Either way, one of the newer hens in the nesting box picking at the hay around her as if she is building a nest. Now, my black EE on the other hand is one the getting broody over a wooden egg that was a training egg so they knew where to put their eggs. If she would mate with him, that would work pretty well. But, that EE has always been a bit odd. She is the only one who cluck-cluck-clucks while she walks like a wind up toy, pecks at anything to see if it is food or not. Shadow is a weird hen.

Hi everyone! I am slightly new to Texas, I'd tell you where, but trust me, no one lives by me  :)  I am getting my first WH ducklings next month, and a pair of Sebastopol goslings as well.  Should be a fun time!  I know I will have extra WH's, as I had to get 10 from Holderread.  I will be selling, trading? some, extra drakes for sure.  They will be both silver and golds.  Not sure which color or sex of each as yet.  I am actively looking for call ducks, which is turning out to be an impossible mission here.  

Wanted to say Hi, and put feelers out for call ducks!

I actually have some family that lives there :)

Excluding when I was in the Army, I've lived in Texas my whole life. I'm currently stuck in the sad town of Clute, but we're hoping our luck turns around and we can find/afford a nice 10.5 acres (or hopefully more) within the next couple of years. For now, I drive 30 minutes each way to feed our animals at a family members property. She's letting us build a small cabin there so that we can save up money a little faster, and save gas on getting all the critters cared for.

David,

He has not shown back up yet. We posted all over facebook, all over Craigslist, talked to the sheriff, county, and city dog catchers. Called all local vets. Called all owners to neighboring properties. The neighbor that owns the 300 acres that surround ours is driving fence lines today, I asked him to look for a body.

John and I both cried last night at the thought that something terrible has happened to Mario. We humanized him, and he was more like the trouble making son than a pet. I'm really worried he's been killed by wild life, or a Mama cow he got to close to.

ETA its easy to find pictures when you don't need them. Now that we need current pictures of him, it took forever to find some. My sister is printing fliers for us.
Oh no, I hope you find him!

frow.gif
Welcome to all the new people!

I've been so busy, I've checked in and read some, but haven't posted in forever...

I got my first batch of meat chicks in...what a learning curve.

I love my most promising Russian girl this morning...
I'm sending her off to A&M for a necropsy. We think (hope) it was botulism, and not Mareks. It killed her fast...she was perfect Friday, then had symptoms Saturday afternoon.
Has anyone sent in for a necropsy before?

I'm down to 2 Russian pullets, and only one has a decent type
hmm.png

Just a rough past week

Hope everyone is holding up! It's the end of March and I've avoided chick fever, except for the future nuggets.

Hello there from Jasper County! Farther into deep East Texas in the Lakes area of the Pineywoods!

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here in Texas!
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome everyone!

Stelle Kitten I didn't realize you were in Granbury! I live in Granbury too!
big_smile.png

I live between Glen Rose and Granbury. Out off Mambrino highway. I'm still on the hunt for an Easter Egger, Araucana or an Americana. Any of the three.

As a quick update, DH and I will be spending three days a week in Fort Worth for our therapy so we can hopefully focus on our recovery better instead of the outrageous travel times between here and therapy. My stuttering is getting better and the support from the community is really nice. The people we interact with that know of our situation are really helpful. There are a couple of people who notice if I look lost in the store will ask me what I was looking for and help me get back ont rack. And don't get upset if I just start crying because I can't remember why I am somehwere and if I am lost. I am just glad that I am not in a giatn city!

Hey any of you East Texas/Piney Woods Texas folk, may I pick yer brain about how to keep Guineas for insect patrol?

However, I reckon any of you Texans raising Guineas would be good candidates for some good ol' brain pickin!
lol.png

We just ordered some keets and will be getting them late May /early June.
The 5 Bantam chicks we currently have should be close to, if not ready, to go into their coop, and the keets will take over the brooder.
We have a small portable coop for the chickens, but will need to make an additional space for the keets.

Currently our 15 acres homestead isnt fenced in.
We've put up a temporary backyard fence using cattle panels to keep the dogs from roaming the entire property, and going to the street too.
The same area in backyard is where we'll put the coop/coops.
Eventually we'll put up fencing around the entire house, enclosing about 5 acres and the cattle panel fence will be reconfigured to make a flock free-for-all zone.

The keets will eventually get mobile and fly the fence, right?
How far do they typically wander?
What type of housing do they need and how do I keep them from roosting in the trees?

Hey any of you East Texas/Piney Woods Texas folk, may I pick yer brain about how to keep Guineas for insect patrol?

However, I reckon any of you Texans raising Guineas would be good candidates for some good ol' brain pickin!
lol.png

We just ordered some keets and will be getting them late May /early June.
The 5 Bantam chicks we currently have should be close to, if not ready, to go into their coop, and the keets will take over the brooder.
We have a small portable coop for the chickens, but will need to make an additional space for the keets.

Currently our 15 acres homestead isnt fenced in.
We've put up a temporary backyard fence using cattle panels to keep the dogs from roaming the entire property, and going to the street too.
The same area in backyard is where we'll put the coop/coops.
Eventually we'll put up fencing around the entire house, enclosing about 5 acres and the cattle panel fence will be reconfigured to make a flock free-for-all zone.

The keets will eventually get mobile and fly the fence, right?
How far do they typically wander?
What type of housing do they need and how do I keep them from roosting in the trees?

caf.gif
Found the raising Guineas 101 thread............but ya can still chime in with your experience iff'n ya want.
Thanks for your patience.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom