Texas

Hi from Forney (east of Dallas). Have had chickens/guineas before but not for many years. Recently got 10 bantam cochins (mille fleur and calico) and 2 show quality silkies (lavender and lavender split) currently 5wks. Hoping for 4 hens in the cochins and at 3-5wks looks like I definitely have 2 hens, hoping on 2 others. Some gorgeous ones are definitely cockerels. Won't know of course on silkies for months. Will probably only keep silkies if pullets.

Now if the rain would stop long enough to begin to get a coop/run up. Don't remember the last time we ever had rain like this....many many years ago. It was also 68 during the day yesterday when normally it would be 95...but I'm trying not to whine its so good to have the drought over.

If anyone wants bantam cochin roos let me know - I'll have some. All friendly.

Sorry I have been gone so long, I'm now training 6 days a week. Getting the dogs competition ready is hard! I also managed to hatched a pair of goslings and 11 ducklings who are in their new homes and doing well.

Here are some updated photos of my gang.

And finally some pics of my dogs having fun and working a little basic agility

Amazing! Any advice on someone who is wanting to get their dog started on agility? My lil pregnant one will need something to burn off her energy once her puppies are gone. =P

Amazing haha

Amazing! Any advice on someone who is wanting to get their dog started on agility? My lil pregnant one will need something to burn off her energy once her puppies are gone. =P

Amazing haha

You will need to find a good trainer. Dogs need to be taught how to do the equipment or they can be seriously injured. It takes about 2 years of training before you will be ready to compete.

May beable to meet if you want. Completely up to you though :)

I don't know if I'd meet you close enough. The farthest I'm going in that direction is to Boerne. By that point, we will have driven about 9 hours and will likely be exhausted. :(

Ugh, I love going to Austin. Normally, when we go up in that direction, we end up going elsewhere, though. We like to go picking through some barn sales. We get sidetracked, haha!

*sighs* I have too many roosters but I love them all! I have a rhode island red rooster named Booster. He's a sweet heart with kids! They tote him around like an accessory. Then there is the mystery bantam rooster who is blond and white with a rose comb, we call him Killer. No clue what he is but he's so small that he looks almost like a song bird. Then there is King. The giant gold rooster. Such a sweetheart to the hens. He's a cuddle bug to any and all. Then I suspect the wellsummer pullet we got and named Elizabeth is going to be Eli the wellsummer roo. We all know how gorgeous wellsummers are and if I mix him with easter eggers then I will have olive eggers that might have spots! So then would those be camo eggers?

Thanks chicken math... Lol! Even the danged roosters are endearing! Don't get me wrong, the first one to try to flog me will be dinner the same day or next day if it happens too late in the day.

Speaking of too many roosters. A woman my wife works with on her internship is offering 8 leghorns for the purpose of culling. I explained to my wife how this is done. Apparently, she is squimish and said, "Not in my back yard." I offered the front yard. I suspect you know how that went. At any rate, she wouldn't mind it done, she just doesn't want the carnage that goes with it. That, being said, if these leghorn roosters (which her co-worker), nor I, for that matter, have no use for them. I have no interest in breeding leghorns. I have a really nice rooster as it is (Lucky) and he is my EE breeder. He is never going in any pot. He does a great job of keeping those EE's out. So, if someone is in need of three of his offspring they are welcome to them. My children have been having fun reproducing him. Two keepers and three to a good home.

Rambling over, if I end up with these leghorns, I will split them with anyone who wants to butcher them off site, so my wife won't freak out. The kids on the other hand think it is great. But, then again, they are country kids. When I brought home a deer head two years ago after bringing the rest to the processor, they kept poking the deer head in the eye, declaring it felt like a grape.

Back
Top Bottom