Texas

Glad to hear/read you finally got your chicks!! Happy they were all healthy and breathing, knowing the USPS as I do.
tongue.gif
Yes, USPS dropped the ball and had me stressed for a day. However, not a single fatality. They are very energetic, running to the feed, running to the brooder caps, like they are all trying to shoot hoops.

Hi folks...it's been awhile since I've been able to be here regularly, but trying to remember who lives in Montgomery Tx. I have an elderly lady friend that lives in Montgomery. I re-homed one of our roos to her and gave her three PR hens to go with him. She has endured terrible tragedy in losing both her sons just a few months apart. I met her through our pastor;s wife. She was looking for a purpose in her life and thought chickens might be good therapy. I got her started but I thought it would be nice to know someone near her that also has a fondness for chickens and might be interested in getting to know her. I live a good ways from her but I try to call her every week or so. She doesn't have a computer or anything like that just a land line phone. Anyway...just thought i would ask. Magpie

I hope everyone is still floating after all the rain we have been getting. We got hammered last night and the ponds are back in my yard. I sure picked the right species (duck) for Texas, lol. Stay safe everyone!

Kaufman Tx here..I have a 20x60 barn 1/2 hen house 1/2 incubator and brooder house.I have been cutting trenches to keep it from flooding all morning.Its a soggy mess here

I got an order from Ideal last week. We ordered 15 chicks (various breeds) and they sent a spare roo too. They all arrived fine, but one (a roo) died over the weekend at about day 3. No clear reason.

We also got 30 guinea fowl from them 3 months ago which all did well. One died at 5 weeks, but it never thrived. At 5 weeks it wasn't much bigger than the day we got it.

I'd say the statistics for our first two orders were pretty darn good.

I'd recommend Ideal and have no problem with their shipping and I live about 2 hours away from them.

I do not have a problem with shipping chicks, but there is an inherent risk with it. Even the hatcheries post on their sites that there is a chance that some will not survive. Sometimes it is the stress of shipping, sometimes it is something wrong genetically. I know there was one in the batch that I picked up that would not have survived the shipping and extra 12-15 hrs in the shipping box. It was not doing well after I was almost home, managed to get it up and going, but it died on day 7. For me the cost in gas was the same as the cost of shipping, so it made sense to go pick them up. As of the last time I checked Ideal did not have some of the breeds I am interested in, so that means I will have to have them shipped.

Back
Top Bottom