Texas

This guy showed up in my backyard, thought he might be a RIR but after looking at pictures it looks like they all have yellow legs? He has silver legs, anyone have an opinion on what he is? :idunno

Discovered the culprit that laid the egg. Caught the one with the lighter colored wattles "pot-rack"ing this afternoon. She'll be nabbed and added to the hen pen this evening.

This guy showed up in my backyard, thought he might be a RIR but after looking at pictures it looks like they all have yellow legs? He has silver legs, anyone have an opinion on what he is?
idunno.gif

He kind of looks like a BCM, without must of his coloration, and no feathers on his legs. So, if he is a BCM, he is not the French variety, but one that has had the feather legs bred out of it.

Not unless it was crossed with a RIR.  Notice the copper/red lightly in the feathers.  Australorps have bodies like Orpingtons and their all black feathers sheen green. 

I'm working off an IPhone and this site does not allow you to zoom so I cannot see the red in the feathers. So I stand humbly corrected.

David

No egg eating lately, we got 6 today from the culprit pen.

Hopefully you broke the behavior before it became a habit. For me the culprit was not an egg eater but an egg layer in what was supposed to be an all male pen. Have been having dominance issues going on in the pen for the past couple of weeks. Lost one Cubalaya cockerel to it while we were out of town. Up until that point there had been nothing serious and I failed to advised my friends that were taking care of them what to do if one had been beaten up. Less than a week later caught them in the act of beating up on another Cubalaya, rescued him. He's still in sickbay, waiting for the worst of the scabs to disappear. His eyes were swollen shut for the rest of that day and part of the next. The next one to fall victim was one of the barred Hollands. Did not have space for him in sickbay, so he got the blue dye first aid goo put on him and tossed in with the pullets. Working on another coop that will get a divider down the center to separate out the ones that are low in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom