Texas

Yes, I have been there. The one in May seems to have more people than the October event.
They usually have a decent variety of chicken. Silkies, lots of chicks, Pigeons, quail, a few ducks, rabbits, turtles, snakes, other caged birds, goats, etc.
The chickens are usually the normal variety, not that many rare breeds. You have to be there really early as they sell out fast and by 10 a lot of people are either close to out or just plain packing up and leaving.

Yes, I have been there. The one in May seems to have more people than the October event.
They usually have a decent variety of chicken. Silkies, lots of chicks, Pigeons, quail, a few ducks, rabbits, turtles, snakes, other caged birds, goats, etc.
The chickens are usually the normal variety, not that many rare breeds. You have to be there really early as they sell out fast and by 10 a lot of people are either close to out or just plain packing up and leaving.
Thanks!

Anyone breed or know breeders of show quality Seramas near South Texas? I'm looking to bring in a new bloodline and am always looking for more show birds!
fl.gif

Last edited:
My first hatch birds are all claimed! Yay! They are growing nicely. I'm glad to see everyone is still doing okay. Wow, this is disjointed but I can't seem to make it flow together correctly today. Lol

Anyways, my second batch is due out in a couple of weeks. Everyone set looks good a couple are suspicious but it's too soon to tell.

So eggcited! I have my first hatchery order placed~ I decided to go with Cackle since they actually show pictures of their stock and are geared more towards FFA type birds. I got 4 Red shoulder yokohamas straight run, 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets, 3 Easter egger pullets, 3 Sultans straight run, and 2 royal palm turkey poults. I cant wait. They are hatching April 18th~ I plan to keep two yokohama pullets, 1-2 wyandotte pullets, 2 easter egger pullets, and 1 sultan pullet. :)

Does anyone know if there has been news regarding large outbreaks of (what looks like either Borna disease, or possible Mereks) recently here in Texas? (Bay City/Wharton area)
Reason I ask is because I was taking our 9 week old Silkies to the brand new coop we built, and I witnessed a Black vulture that was staggering, and tried to fly away with some success, only to fall out of the tree a few minutes later. I thought oh, no! If this isn't a sign, I don't know what is!!!
I thought vultures were pretty darn tough, and if this is just a isolated event, then fine, however if I am wrong, what could it be?
I don't want to scare anyone, however I have searched the Internet and it seems that many of the diseases that we chicken owners know of, vultures rarely get.
Any input apprieciated.

I am in West Central Texas and have not heard anything about any poultry disease outbreaks in our area. A quick Google does not show anything either.

Did you see if the vulture flew away? It could be someone put out poison carion to kill buzzards and vultures, would not be legal but people do things sometimes. Also there is the possibility that the bird had been shot and only wounded, again not legal but again people do things.

Keep an eye on your birds, if there is anything they should show signs pretty quickly. Best of luck.

So eggcited! I have my first hatchery order placed~ I decided to go with Cackle since they actually show pictures of their stock and are geared more towards FFA type birds. I got 4 Red shoulder yokohamas straight run, 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets, 3 Easter egger pullets, 3 Sultans straight run, and 2 royal palm turkey poults. I cant wait. They are hatching April 18th~ I plan to keep two yokohama pullets, 1-2 wyandotte pullets, 2 easter egger pullets, and 1 sultan pullet. :)
i would love to see pics of them!!!! its kinda hard to tell sex with the yokies and wyandotties until about 6-9wks... the EEs check for 3 rows of peas in the comb...
GOOD LUCK!!!

Thank you, I was also assuming that it was shot at first, then after watching it for awhile it looked more like a central nervous issue. You may be right jtn42248, it may indeed be poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom