Texas

I order from Ideal Poultry.  They hatch on Wednesdays and I get my chicks on Thursday.
I am placing another order on Monday!

thanks I'll check it, planing to get 4 hens

I have ordered from Ideal.  They are great.  They do mention shipping extras for warmth  (aka 'packing peanuts') so make sure you meet the minimum or you will end up with a lot of roosters.  I ended up with 17 once:barnie
You can also request no packing peanuts.

The weather is Hottest in Aug. I recommend ordering in March when the weather is perfect, chicks die less in traveling and grow healthy at our yard. My hens still laying setting at my yard now, but the hatching rate is less and chick won't be as big as Spring hatch brothers/sisters.

I just got some last week.
They arrived just fine.

I'm considering getting on the wait list for an order of broiler strain Naked Necks from S&G Poultry in Alabama - they are supposed to have particularly large and early/fast growing NNs and I'd like some for my breeding projects. Unfortunately the minimum order is 100 chicks, which is more than I can reasonably handle and raise. I have quite a few folks who would be interested in sharing an order, but they are all out of state, mostly in California.
he.gif

Would anyone in reasonable (or unreasonable, I suppose) driving distance of the San Antonio area be interested in sharing in an order when they are back in stock?

- Ant Farm

Downsizing:
I am going in reverse Chicken Math:

My wife is going to work, and I am retiring very soon due to the ravages of Muscular Dystrophy. So, I am putting it out there to the Texas Community that is in the commuting area first.

I am selling off the entirety of my Chocolate Orpingtons for 25.00 each and the rooster is included so you can have an instant flock.

I am selling off half of my Black Copper Marans for the same price and that includes my secondary rooster (I have two).

I am also selling off the majority of my eating egg hens for the same price point.

I am leaving enough behind that I can have my own eating eggs and incubate my own birds for meat.

Maybe someday I will be back in the Chicken business. However, I need to make the job we have here as manageable as possible for the kids in school and a wife that will be working.

So, a lot EE laying hens, All the Chocolate Opringtons, and half my Black Copper Marans are priced to go.

I also forgot to mention we have some extra Little Giant feeders that drill into a wall and hold about lbs of feed for sale too.

Also we have sets of hatching eggs in the wine cooler of all the varitities including blue Ameracaunas that need to go too.

Also we have sets of hatching eggs in the wine cooler of all the varitities including blue Ameracaunas that need to go too.
Good luck, I hope that you can get to the point where everything will be easier. Fewer chickens is definitely a path in that direction...I have 29 chickens right now, a chick that hatched this morning and two zips in the incubator....

It takes much more time and effort to care for them now -- than it did when I only had 5 or 6.

Quote:
Agree there - I have 33 right now (how on earth did that happen?!). Will be rehoming four pullets that I don't want to eat but that don't fit into my plans - a friend who wants some more backyard layers will take them, as soon as I can give their rooster another set of girlfriends (new pullets not old enough yet). But it's still a lot - especially in the summer when it's harder to keep them well and comfortable. (My water bill is HUGE!)

I wish you all the best with your downsizing, etc., Rooster.
hugs.gif

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom