Texas

If you plan on trap and release have the county animal people do it for you. It can be a very dangerous thing to do if you don't know what you are doing. First you will have to transport the trapped animal at least 5 miles away and 15-20 miles would actually be better, it would be less likely to return to your property. Second, when you open the trap the animal does not always just take off running. Often they will exit the trap and turn on you. So, call your county animal people, either city, county or state, and arrange for them to take care of it for you.

If you plan on trap and release have the county animal people do it for you. It can be a very dangerous thing to do if you don't know what you are doing. First you will have to transport the trapped animal at least 5 miles away and 15-20 miles would actually be better, it would be less likely to return to your property. Second, when you open the trap the animal does not always just take off running. Often they will exit the trap and turn on you. So, call your county animal people, either city, county or state, and arrange for them to take care of it for you.
That is the "name" of the trap. The other type of a trap is the "bear trap" (I think that is what it is called, or a claw trap, these are extremely cruel and dangerous for our dogs.) We will not be releasing it. It will be killed in a humane way. It's getting too brazen for it's own good. If we released it, it would then become someone else's problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Mandy

Last edited:
Yes it is.  I have never understood why Texas stores do this.  I lived in Florida at one time and while there were *winter* fashions, you could still get shorts and warm weather clothing year round there at just about any store.  One time near Christmas it was rainy and temps were running in the 50s and I had some elderly lady try to buy me a coat.  I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt and she thought I was too poor to buy a coat.  Had to thank her and tell her that I was from TX and temps in the 50s were not cold to me, just comfortable.

I grew up in Dallas and I have to say 50 was freezing to me! It wasn't until I lived in New England for a few years that I would break out the shorts once the temps hit 60s in the spring lol

I grew up in Dallas and I have to say 50 was freezing to me! It wasn't until I lived in New England for a few years that I would break out the shorts once the temps hit 60s in the spring lol
cool.png

Texas Silverrud "Clyde"
Is that THE Clyde? same one as your avatar? Is he sweet natured? any picts of Bonnie to share?
I Wouldn't Exactly Say They're Not Afraid Of People. Last Fall My Younger Sister Got Chased By A Trio Of Bobcats, A Mom And Her Two Babies. Luckily She Was Close To A Dog Kennel That Had A Roof And There Was A Dog House Inside The Kennel, She Hid In The Kennel. That's Where We Found Her A Few Hours Later Hiding. It Was Dark And She Had Took Off And She Knew That At Certain Parts Of The Year There Is A Cougar And Other Parts Of The Year There Are Bobcats. She Was Twelve At The Time. She Is 13 Now. She is lucky. It could have been worse. Next day we went and looked around the kennel and found three sets of prints.

ep.gif

WOW That's scary!!!

We looked at the camera, it appeared last night. I wonder if it is casing the property? It seems to appear about the same time each night. Fortunately the ducks are put up in their enclosure by 3. It is coming by around 8 and 11 pm. We are looking for a trap. If I can't find a used one, I will purchase one from Tractor Supply.

Anyone know of a cheap place to buy a trap large enough for a bobcat?

Thanks!

Bobcats aren't all that rare, they are very wary of people and tend to avoid us if possible. Mom was probably protecting her young ones when she chased your sister. I see them pretty often on a game camera I have setup and a few times in real life hanging around the feeders looking for small prey. Parks and Wildlife will probably set the trap for you and relocate it.

You guys have some really good insights to them.

Went out on line and was reading some stuff -- and there is an article about a Florida man (68 years old I think) - who fought off a bobcat attack. He was out after dark bringing in the trash cans or something and saw the Bobcat -- and when it didn't automatically run from him, he knew something was wrong. It attacked him. He strangled it with his bare hands, but got scratched up pretty bad.

He called the authorities after the bobcat was dead. Turns out the bobcat had rabies so he and the person who immediately helped him needed to be treated for rabies.

It dawns on me that one of the reasons that we don't see them as often is because they will have a tendency to flee us, unless they are sick like that one -- or unless they are with babies. --

Have now decided to do trash can work during daylight hours. It also occurred to me that if I was messing with trash cans and a bobcat charged me -- I wouldn't drop the cans like that man did -- but I would try to weaponize them and smash it into the bobcat....
smack.gif

Sometimes you never know exactly what your adrenaline will have you doing in a life-or-death situation, unless you have training like in the military or law enforcement -- but bare handed -- yikes!
hide.gif

Quote:
beautiful

winter?

We wear shorts all year! lol

RIGHT, lol
We are in short sleeves for the most part. I was just poking fun at the stores around here. They have all the summer clothes on clearance and making room for winter clothes. So sad.....
Next we will be seeing Christmas stuff out.

Yes it is. I have never understood why Texas stores do this. I lived in Florida at one time and while there were *winter* fashions, you could still get shorts and warm weather clothing year round there at just about any store. One time near Christmas it was rainy and temps were running in the 50s and I had some elderly lady try to buy me a coat. I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt and she thought I was too poor to buy a coat. Had to thank her and tell her that I was from TX and temps in the 50s were not cold to me, just comfortable.
lau.gif

That is the "name" of the trap. The other type of a trap is the "bear trap" (I think that is what it is called, or a claw trap, these are extremely cruel and dangerous for our dogs.) We will not be releasing it. It will be killed in a humane way. It's getting too brazen for it's own good. If we released it, it would then become someone else's problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Mandy
We set a trap for the one that came around here. Didn't catch anything. I would do the same if we had caught it. I hope you get yours real soon.

Is that THE Clyde? same one as your avatar? Is he sweet natured? any picts of Bonnie to share?

You guys have some really good insights to them.

Went out on line and was reading some stuff -- and there is an article about a Florida man (68 years old I think) - who fought off a bobcat attack. He was out after dark bringing in the trash cans or something and saw the Bobcat -- and when it didn't automatically run from him, he knew something was wrong. It attacked him. He strangled it with his bare hands, but got scratched up pretty bad.

He called the authorities after the bobcat was dead. Turns out the bobcat had rabies so he and the person who immediately helped him needed to be treated for rabies.

It dawns on me that one of the reasons that we don't see them as often is because they will have a tendency to flee us, unless they are sick like that one -- or unless they are with babies. --

Have now decided to do trash can work during daylight hours. It also occurred to me that if I was messing with trash cans and a bobcat charged me -- I wouldn't drop the cans like that man did -- but I would try to weaponize them and smash it into the bobcat....
smack.gif

Sometimes you never know exactly what your adrenaline will have you doing in a life-or-death situation, unless you have training like in the military or law enforcement -- but bare handed -- yikes!
hide.gif
I have read of them jumping on people before. The one that sat for my brother in law as he drove by was not very big. I used to work for a Vet and I've always thought ok... if a bobcat attacks I'll do him just like we did many mean cats, lol. But then I saw the size of the one on Mandy's cam and thought o boy... might not could hold that one down.

I use Texas Naturals. Naturally it is twice the cost of regular layer pellets, but I like it being non GMO. We are starting to build up a small egg business because people like the non GMO. We charge $4 per dozen and can't keep up. Have 14 POL pullets that ought to get started next month. People comment that our egg yolks are rich and taste good. We just butchered 22 Delaware roosters and the meat is very good. I sold a couple of them and the lady ordered 5 more (we have 9 more to butcher)

Hey I looked up the name and found a store an hour away that carrys it and also saw they have the premium non GMO and the standard non GMO which on do u get or prefer?

Back
Top Bottom