Texas

On Monday, I was trying to get my mowing done when 19 egrets showed up. They usually don't show up until I brush hog. They really like the crawdads on our property. See their little skeletons all over the place.
We have a couple of hawks that must nest nearby. They follow us around while brush hogging and we get great aerial shows when they swoop in to catch whatever runs out from the brush. I love where I live! :)

Same here Dawn! I love where we are. I was lucky one day to have two Cara Caras land while I was brush hogging. Man they are beautiful!

What I really like, is when I am brush hogging toward evening and the swallows and purple martins start swooping down around me. They are fast!

Same here Dawn! I love where we are. I was lucky one day to have two Cara Caras land while I was brush hogging. Man they are beautiful!

What I really like, is when I am brush hogging toward evening and the swallows and purple martins start swooping down around me. They are fast!
Cool! Had to google that one. Never seen it before. Then had to google where Rosenberg was. LOL Nothing like that up here in the North ;)

:D That is okay. If you hear Sugar Land/Houston, I am in the general area.

I didn't know what a Cara Cara was either. I had noticed they were hanging out with the turkey vultures. I contacted Texas A&M, and they gave me the information.

We have them in Ledbetter (central TX). A neighbor of mine said they are terrible if they are around cattle. They will wait for a cow to go into labor and while she can't defend herself they will peck their eyes out! YUCK! But...Nature is cruel! I have learned the hard way.

We live in a wonderful Oak Cliff neighborhood called Brettonwoods! Many of the lots over here are at least an acre. Some, like ours, are bigger!
I know right where that is. We lived in Swiss Avenue District until we moved to Carrollton to be closer to her aging parents. I miss downtown. And Dallas is way friendlier to chickens!

Cool! Had to google that one. Never seen it before. Then had to google where Rosenberg was. LOL Nothing like that up here in the North ;)
We're down here near Terrell and we have at least one mated pair of Cara Caras near us. We were surprised when we first saw them, since it was unusual to have them so far north. Have to watch out for them since they will attack living animals too. They've been here at least 5 years now but fortunately they have never come in for a landing near our property, we just see them fly overhead looking at us. I think they nest about a mile down the road from us where someone has a lot of tall trees in their pasture with a lot more cover than we have.

Back
Top Bottom