Texas

Oh I get the point about the bands especially living in a city. Where I live if they get out the neighbors would let me know or the predators would quickly make dinner out of them. I learned that when I first started raising them, thought I could free range them out here. Went from 15 to 3 the first year. Got smart and fenced them in a large run, probably 1000 sq.

I bought 8 new chicks the following spring, things went smoothly for awhile. Then a coon came in before I closed up the coop and snatched my fav, Shoeless Joe. He wasn't done either as he came back crawling up a cedar tree to access the roof then climbed in between the rafters killing two more. I knew he'd be back so put hardware cloth and 2x2's covering enough of the space so he couldn't get back in then set out the traps. He went for the sardine in the live trap, coons are suckers for them. Since he was an ornery fellow he got a dirt nap instead of a trip out to the state wildlife area nearby. This year I've been lucky and only lost 1 chick to a hawk but I've seen it landing in the big oaks overlooking the run.

I guess the point of all that rambling is out here there is no animal control for loose chickens, only predator control which is an ongoing effort. That along with the dispatcher would no doubt laugh if I called in a escaped chicken call, simply no resources would be used for a chicken as this is a poor county. Honestly even in a city I would consider sending animal control out for loose chickens would be a waste of resources.

Hey everybody! Sorry to barge in on your thread like this but I have a question I was hoping you guys could help with.

So, I’m moving from Brazil back to America at the end of June. I really want to take my dog, Cookie, with me but there’s a few problems we’ve run into. Most airlines only take the dog when the temperature is 85°F or less. We would have a layover in Dallas from around 5 am to 11:30 am. Is it unrealistic to hope that late morning Dallas temperatures would be under 85° at the end of June? We’d probably be there on the 29th but no set date yet.

Anyway, I’m sorry to bother you guys, just having a hard time finding much that’s helpful online and I really don’t want to leave my pup behind. The airline only decides if they'll take the dog once we’re there and I’m scared she won’t be able to come. Thanks in advance!

Hey @AllenK RGV , are y'all getting any of the tropical depression headed this way, yet?
Yep we have finally seen a bit of rain from this system. My wife and I were just discussing it as we had been in a stage one drought for the last 2+ months. It is only expected to bring us 2 or so of inches of rain. So surely no drought buster.

Yeah, that’s what I thought...unfortunately she’s too big to go in the cabin. Thanks for the input!
Actually, your animal needs to clear customs anyway and you have a near 5 hour lay over at DFW. You should be able to clear customs walk your pet then recheck your animal. When we made our lat trip back through in 2013 our dog had soiled herself and they wanted to X-Ray her my wife was funny she said "Fine, X-ray her but I ain't touching her and she won't bite!", needless to say the dog didn't get X-rayed. :lau

It isn't as if your dog will be sitting out in the Texas sun for those 5 hours on the flight line for your follow on travel.

@TheKindaFarmGal depending on your final destination it might even be worth making DFW your final stop and get a rental car for your follow on travel plans. I just hate the idea of abandoning a family member. Also, make sure all your import/export certificates are in order with your vet as well as we have done the transatlantic travel often enough with our pets being prior military. Additionally, if you do decide to road trip the last leg Motel 6(dirt cheap for a reason) and La Quinta Inn(expensive) are pet friendly

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Sorry to barge in on your thread like this but I have a question I was hoping you guys could help with.

So, I’m moving from Brazil back to America at the end of June. I really want to take my dog, Cookie, with me but there’s a few problems we’ve run into. Most airlines only take the dog when the temperature is 85°F or less. We would have a layover in Dallas from around 5 am to 11:30 am. Is it unrealistic to hope that late morning Dallas temperatures would be under 85° at the end of June? We’d probably be there on the 29th but no set date yet.

Anyway, I’m sorry to bother you guys, just having a hard time finding much that’s helpful online and I really don’t want to leave my pup behind. The airline only decides if they'll take the dog once we’re there and I’m scared she won’t be able to come. Thanks in advance!

Not overseas but I did take my two dogs with me to Mexico city when I was working a project down there. Because of the temperatures I had to fly my newfie home three weeks before the end of the project to ensure she would be able to fly. Her crate was so big they took me down on the tarmac so I could watch them load it becasue they had to turn it on its side with her in it to get it into the belly of the plane. You may need to consider flying cookie home earlier or flying into a cooler place and driving home.

Yep we have finally seen a bit of rain from this system. My wife and I were just discussing it as we had been in a stage one drought for the last 2+ months. It is only expected to bring us 2 or so of inches of rain. So surely no drought buster.
Yep, we haven't been that dry! We're getting some of it now too! Got about 3.5 " today.

Back
Top Bottom