Texas

Oh my, it's been almost a decade since I've been to Renfest AKA TRF.

Welcome "official newbie" from a 'still green' rookie.
This past year...TRF.
IMG_25931.jpg

Alrighty guys another question for yall. So still haven't decided on a house bunt well definitely be somewhere in Katy, Sugarland, Cinco ranch area. What're everyone's findings on venomous snakes aka what you see most often/hear most about bite wise. And if there's quite a few what's the best feathery detergent? Turkey's, guinea, or other? We have 6 dogs and I'd prefer a feathery alarm system over finding one of our dogs salivating and punctured by angry snake fangs. We do plan to have already an acre so I assume we'll run into snakes at some point.
An acre in one of those 3 areas is going to cost you a million dollars.
:eek:

Is that a knee-jerk sweeping generalization? Sorry about asking that way but, when we did our due diligence for a Galveston house we spent a good couple years of trips and mini-vacations learning the economic "lay of the land" as well as the zones to "X off" with red sharpy(on our map) for insurance pricing reasons alone!

We found an awesome realestate agent who became our friend along the way. IIRC he had been the president of the historical society for some time before we got to know him to.... So that really helped out when we realized our goals and he really helped out when we'd see something on HAR.com or as we were on the island driving around and see a [pronounced] 'Fisbow' FSBO (for sale by owner) ... It was actually quite fun.

Back to geographic reality for y'all. I can't emphasize enough that you have a hard copy map of the Hurricane Harvey flood zones in your hands at all times when looking for a place to land down there.
During the drain-down the local news was showing maps of why several areas were so flooded because of many, many areas were developed around the leveys and the land was just to low...... Butidigress again. That's well documented now.

Is that a knee-jerk sweeping generalization? Sorry about asking that way but, when we did our due diligence for a Galveston house we spent a good couple years of trips and mini-vacations learning the economic "lay of the land" as well as the zones to "X off" with red sharpy(on our map) for insurance pricing reasons alone!

We found an awesome realestate agent who became our friend along the way. IIRC he had been the president of the historical society for some time before we got to know him to.... So that really helped out when we realized our goals and he really helped out when we'd see something on HAR.com or as we were on the island driving around and see a [pronounced] 'Fisbow' FSBO (for sale by owner) ... It was actually quite fun.

Back to geographic reality for y'all. I can't emphasize enough that you have a hard copy map of the Hurricane Harvey flood zones in your hands at all times when looking for a place to land down there.
During the drain-down the local news was showing maps of why several areas were so flooded because of many, many areas were developed around the leveys and the land was just to low...... Butidigress again. That's well documented now.
I don't know what your first sentence means....I'm just saying you won't find an acre in Sugarland or Katy for less than a million.

Yeah, it's that 'black clay' dirt that is very "top soil looking." We live on a modest hill that has 2 layers of rock that was deposited by the glaciers that starts a few inches to about 18" below the surface. That flexi pipe will be in the trench. The houses roof drains will go in that pipe. And it will go under the coops run and out to the middle of the back yard. Eventually a drain collection will be built too.

Once that pipe is in the ground, I'll finally get the well house upgrade built. And there the plans are still in flux for the greenhouse. As for "where"? Denton County.
I bet y’all had a chance to do some drying out today! We certainly did some drying,(not in the shade) but I still have to tread thru mud in a few places to get to some of the coups. We had sunshine all day with a strong west north west wind to help.

I bet y’all had a chance to do some drying out today! We certainly did some drying,(not in the shade) but I still have to tread thru mud in a few places to get to some of the coups. We had sunshine all day with a strong west north west wind to help.
Actually the last 3 days. Yesterday hit 78 today climaxed at 80. Tomorrows high is a scorching 52. (Smirks)

We still have a good 1/3 of our backyard that's a slope that's 110% soaked...... I can't recall any time since we moved out here that it's been this soggy - this long. We've been here since Aug 2011.

I don't know what your first sentence means....I'm just saying you won't find an acre in Sugarland or Katy for less than a million.

I combined two phrases.
The "knee-jerk reaction" is a fast reflexive move you make. Litterally & metaphorically.

Sweeping generalization is an over exaggeration of a the typical generalizing.
"Absolutely Everything's bigger in Texas." Is a simple stand by example.

Actually the last 3 days. Yesterday hit 78 today climaxed at 80. Tomorrows high is a scorching 52. (Smirks)

We still have a good 1/3 of our backyard that's a slope that's 110% soaked...... I can't recall any time since we moved out here that it's been this soggy - this long. We've been here since Aug 2011.
Are y’all going to get moisture again this go around? We have a little snow forecast for in the morning but really just totally cloudy, dreary, and cold for next 3-4 days. High today 47 but high tomorrow 33. Sure glad propane tanks were filled yesterday. Good man, lives 5 miles away as the crow flies. Another good egg customer. How did you chickens fair in all that monsoon moisture?

I moved to Dallas in January 1979 and went straight into a job as greenhouse grower and moved up to management before getting into retail nursery and landscaping in 85. We Purchased this place in December two years ago but Actually didn’t got moved out of Dallas until a year ago about now and closed on that house next week 1 yr anniversary. Had chickens from the get go after the purchase here. In Dallas I would be looking at geraniums and alyssum for my pots about now. Knowing that the night heat especially would get the better of them by June at latest. Out here plant them in April and they last until frozen in late or not so late October. Cool summer nights up here. I do miss some of the temperate nights in early spring out there though. Here it is guaranteed 20s-low30s from December to March. and still the biggest Minnesota type mosquitoes out here in August after we begin to catch monsoonal moisture flow with New Mexico. Absolutely incredible sunsets almost nightly out my front door! I can see for miles and miles any direction. My forest is planted and around the house for my enjoyment and the birds we get that stay for nesting or migrate thru. Hoards of monarchs also pit stop here for water and the Arizona cypress trees windbreak. Literally thousands of butterflies both ends of the migration. Hummingbirds too. I haven’t figured out yet how to nectar feed the monarchs yet on their migration to Canada passing thru here in April !.
1E2BBFF8-C859-413A-A1DF-F54D8DE74753.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom