Texas

Alrighty new question guys 😂 all ye who have lived in Houston area please give me your knowledge! Are roosters 100% illegal? Houston is a huge city and we'll most likely end up in Katy were looking at a property on 1 acre right now but I want to know restrictions on roos in case I can't take our sweet boy Blizzard whith! I'd like too know before going through the effort of getting him vetted and papered only to find he's illegal when we arrive. There's specific listings of numbers of chickens per area but it also is somewhat vague and I'm sure there's people who have land and breed chickens for the farm stores and such at least right?? Can you get a permit to own a rooster or do you need a certain amount of land or??? I'd love to keep our roo as he's very sweet and a good head bird but I can find him a home given his perfect temperament, I'd just like to know before I fill out paperwork.
Here's the boy this afternoon in the yard, he lost his tail months back in a fight w/ a redtail but they're coming back great so far.
It just depends on exactly where in Katy you find a home.

Almost all of Katy and Houston is controlled by home owners associations. Most do not allow chickens period.

If you can possibly help it do not buy anything in a HOA. It's almost impossible but if you dig long enough you might get lucky.

It just depends on exactly where in Katy you find a home.

Almost all of Katy and Houston is controlled by home owners associations. Most do not allow chickens period.

If you can possibly help it do not buy anything in a HOA. It's almost impossible but if you dig long enough you might get lucky.
I guess my next suggestion is to call on a couple local realestate agents and find out about HOA free zones in their area. Or if you look at a zip code map maybe you could use that to zero in with a couple agents about finding HOA free zones.... I'm not saying you have to sign on with any just get the wisdom from a few to avg the knowledge.....

Alrighty new question guys 😂 all ye who have lived in Houston area please give me your knowledge! Are roosters 100% illegal? Houston is a huge city and we'll most likely end up in Katy were looking at a property on 1 acre right now but I want to know restrictions on roos in case I can't take our sweet boy Blizzard whith! I'd like too know before going through the effort of getting him vetted and papered only to find he's illegal when we arrive. There's specific listings of numbers of chickens per area but it also is somewhat vague and I'm sure there's people who have land and breed chickens for the farm stores and such at least right?? Can you get a permit to own a rooster or do you need a certain amount of land or??? I'd love to keep our roo as he's very sweet and a good head bird but I can find him a home given his perfect temperament, I'd just like to know before I fill out paperwork.
Here's the boy this afternoon in the yard, he lost his tail months back in a fight w/ a redtail but they're coming back great so far.
He’s good looking! Maybe a little EE in him? Why don’t you just avoid city limits all together and be able to do what you want and when you want? Does work compell you to be within a certain driving distance ? There are so many wonderful smaller towns that are much more affordable and Essy to get a foothold just outside of city limits but access to the benefits. I would only want to venture into Houston area proper if absolutely necessary. Hospitals etc....Traffic is a nightmare and that’s a fact! It’s not always real Texas feeling there. Beaumont, Huntsville, Bryan-College Station (Gig’em), Madisonville would be my choices outside of that metropolitan area! The same with DFW where I left why go in, if you can go out?

I'm in Garfield (between Austin/Del Valle and Bastrop/Wyldewood), close to the Colorado river. New member; former small flock owner looking to start up again.
Welcome from a newbie here. Always good to meet a fellow Texan. I really do like the Smithville town and area down there too! What do you think your new feathered friends will be?

@tacothechicken it all depends on the governing body. City jurisdiction and then Home Owner Deed restrictions. The biggest thing is having neighbors who appreciate a good rooster song welcoming the day and doesn't interfere with your freedoms. Houston is huge. Katy is getting huge. I wish there was a simple answer and I wish I knew more before I bought.

Afraid you will have to do your research and meet your neighbors to get the feel of the land. There are too many control freaks running around. I'm no help on the east side of Houston. I moved here to stay away from the city and the city has come to me. Time to move farther out.

Best wishes!
I do get that totally !

Are y’all going to get moisture again this go around? We have a little snow forecast for in the morning but really just totally cloudy, dreary, and cold for next 3-4 days. High today 47 but high tomorrow 33. Sure glad propane tanks were filled yesterday. Good man, lives 5 miles away as the crow flies. Another good egg customer. How did you chickens fair in all that monsoon moisture?
Believe it or not we got a bit of moisture from this storm last night and today. We almost could make a mud Patty out of everything it's been so dry here.

I moved to Dallas in January 1979 and went straight into a job as greenhouse grower and moved up to management before getting into retail nursery and landscaping in 85. We Purchased this place in December two years ago but Actually didn’t got moved out of Dallas until a year ago about now and closed on that house next week 1 yr anniversary. Had chickens from the get go after the purchase here. In Dallas I would be looking at geraniums and alyssum for my pots about now. Knowing that the night heat especially would get the better of them by June at latest. Out here plant them in April and they last until frozen in late or not so late October. Cool summer nights up here. I do miss some of the temperate nights in early spring out there though. Here it is guaranteed 20s-low30s from December to March. and still the biggest Minnesota type mosquitoes out here in August after we begin to catch monsoonal moisture flow with New Mexico. Absolutely incredible sunsets almost nightly out my front door! I can see for miles and miles any direction. My forest is planted and around the house for my enjoyment and the birds we get that stay for nesting or migrate thru. Hoards of monarchs also pit stop here for water and the Arizona cypress trees windbreak. Literally thousands of butterflies both ends of the migration. Hummingbirds too. I haven’t figured out yet how to nectar feed the monarchs yet on their migration to Canada passing thru here in April !.View attachment 2030512
I really miss being able to grow out my fuchsia in early spring late winter in Dallas. Gala could even make that stuff grow here inside the house directly under an AC vent.

Back
Top Bottom