Texas

Too busy playing cowboy, most of the time, chasing horny toads in Abilene. My, that was a long time ago. From there to the Mojave Desert. Nice place to visit, watch for snakes.

Finally got my Winchester lever action. :D
Nice the model 1896(memberberry issues)? I have always wanted that old west thing(winchester 1886 lever action .45-70) never bothered with buying one, but a small unanswered desire. Bleeding Heart keeps me focused on garden toys and practical things outside of her tolerance for my chicken. I would have had my Malays by now if not for her reasonable fears about 3 foot tall stags free ranging especially after I got spurred between the eyes. I had to do a fast google to catch my mistake there regarding the Winchester. I'm also not allowed to keep emu or other large breeds. Now she did relent and allow me to get a start on 5 more straight run Blue Sumatra they should arrive in the next 1-2 weeks. Those poor sumatra roosts look so empty and wouldn't it be nice to have ones that are easy to distinguish from our Blacks worked:):celebrateThat and the fact they will be raised by the transition drug silkie flock and roosters and a bunch of crabby old hens should do the trick taming them.

I nagged for Malays for about a month but she had forced me to buy Silkies if I wanted more chicken.

Last edited:
Nice the model 1896(memberberry issues)? I have always wanted that old west thing(winchester 1886 lever action .45-70) never bothered with buying one, but a small unanswered desire. Bleeding Heart keeps me focused on garden toys and practical things outside of her tolerance for my chicken. I would have had my Malays by now if not for her reasonable fears about 3 foot tall stags free ranging especially after I got spurred between the eyes. I had to do a fast google to catch my mistake there regarding the Winchester. I'm also not allowed to keep emu or other large breeds. Now she did relent and allow me to get a start on 5 more straight run Blue Sumatra they should arrive in the next 1-2 weeks. Those poor sumatra roosts look so empty and wouldn't it be nice to have ones that are easy to distinguish from our Blacks worked:):celebrateThat and the fact they will be raised by the transition drug silkie flock and roosters and a bunch of crabby old hens should do the trick taming them.

I nagged for Malays for about a month but she had forced me to buy Silkies if I wanted more chicken.
Yes. 1896. Went Marlin for the 45-70s. Also have an 1873 assault gun, Trapdoor Springfield 45-70 reproduction. ;) I have so much fun talking to the guys with the black plastic and agreeing that assault rifles are fun and then pulling out a 150 year old model. :lau

Congratulations on the Blue Sumatras. How many chickens are in your yard now? I thought you were trying to reduce the flock. Might have just been roosters, though.

I candled the 3 eggs under the broody hen and it looks like 1 good, 1 blood ring and the brown one didn't look fertile. I'm leaving for another couple days to confirm. 1 good one. Add more or hope for a single chick?

This broody is a barred mix. She pancakes on the nest and just purrs at me when I reach under. No pecking or attacking. Such a friendly hen. I'm concerned that you are traumatizing your broody hens. :D Be nice to them, they are incubating.

Consider Naked Necks. Lovely birds.

Yes. 1896. Went Marlin for the 45-70s. Also have an 1873 assault gun, Trapdoor Springfield 45-70 reproduction. ;) I have so much fun talking to the guys with the black plastic and agreeing that assault rifles are fun and then pulling out a 150 year old model. :lau

Congratulations on the Blue Sumatras. How many chickens are in your yard now? I thought you were trying to reduce the flock. Might have just been roosters, though.

I candled the 3 eggs under the broody hen and it looks like 1 good, 1 blood ring and the brown one didn't look fertile. I'm leaving for another couple days to confirm. 1 good one. Add more or hope for a single chick?

This broody is a barred mix. She pancakes on the nest and just purrs at me when I reach under. No pecking or attacking. Such a friendly hen. I'm concerned that you are traumatizing your broody hens. :D Be nice to them, they are incubating.

Consider Naked Necks. Lovely birds.
I'd stick with the eggs you got. I try to only let them sit on exactly how many chicks I want. My current flock count is in my signature:p You can do the math on them as I will never give a straight answer. The reductions are all going to be silkies it should go fast as they like to get stupid and die pretty often.

Ok. I have to add a pond to my back yard in order to "get adopted" by whistling ducks. They come in from time to time anyway to steal my feed. The reason I say this is a pair just crossed the road in front of me with 5 chicks in tow. I never realized how wonderfully patterned their chicks were. Bleeding heart is already talking about deconstructing the pool anyway and hey free labor is always nice with the price of water here we let that pool go to rot. At least the hole is already dug. I can get my water to feed it from gutter installation.

Last edited:
I'd stick with the eggs you got. I try to only let them sit on exactly how many chicks I want. My current flock count is in my signature:p You can do the math on them as I will never give a straight answer. The reductions are all going to be silkies it should go fast as they like to get stupid and die pretty often.

Ok. I have to add a pond to my back yard in order to "get adopted" by whistling ducks. They come in from time to time anyway to steal my feed. The reason I say this is a pair just crossed the road in front of me with 5 chicks in tow. I never realized how wonderfully patterned their chicks were. Bleeding heart is already talking about deconstructing the pool anyway and hey free labor is always nice with the price of water here we let that pool go to rot. At least the hole is already dug. I can get my water to feed it from gutter installation.
Whistling Ducks are gorgeous. Best wishes with the adoption.

More eggs on order for Monday. I'll have to select the ones I want to put under the hen. Or maybe get another broody. Incubator is warm too. Musical eggs will prove interesting.

I have an outlet for my "extra" chickens. ;) Is there really such a thing as "extra" chickens?

Just a FYI the Tropical Storm Central FB page is talking about tropical development in the Gulf within 8-10 days for us coasties. Keep an eye on..... https://spaghettimodels.com/ and the guidance you can find there easily from the NWS for the next couple of days please. :fl

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2 isn't indicating any risks yet, well for us.

Oh and please thank Elon Musk for blowing up yet another rocket today and closing my beach access on a Friday. Glad I wasn't going fishing to feed my family this weekend. He is the worst neighbor ever. The good news is it will take little bomberman at least a month to build another bomb.

Thoughts and prayers for those going on a manned mission in one of SpaceX' machines in Florida soon

Last edited:
I’m in search of a reputable Malay Breeder near southeast Texas. I would prefer driving distance or a quick trip through the USPS
Good luck on that:pop my search in the past led me to KS(eggs) with @chicken danz https://www.chickendanz.com/ and another in Arizona. I'm sure Ideal (Austinish)or some other hatchery offers a pet quality mix from what images I have seen, but not the stock I was wanting. The Livestock Conservancy maintains a list as well. Best wishes.

Aseel are a pretty common alternative and easier to find locally or on craigslist but repute I can't comment there.

Last edited:
Coasties here is our disturbance in the Gulf..... just saying. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5
@RUNuts @Kiki time to stock up, sorry to everyone I didn't tag.

Late edit: The first models are out I missed those:
disturbed.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom