Texas

Allen, I am concerned. It sounds like if you procrastinate long enough you will have a house chicken. If you work with her, a lap chicken is not that far away. I have faith that this can be accomplished. And the dogs are helping with the house cleaning. I think they would support this.

LOL - Pumpkin the house chicken sounds like a great idea.
No way I will ever sew together chicken diapers or change them. Bleeding heart agrees. This chicken needs to get out of the house. It spoils ones appetite to eat lunch and have a dog with an active licker cleaning up the chicken mess. Then bringing that licker back to you. It is a very gross eww.

Never gunna have a house chicken here. We are keeping her here only for protection as when she was sliced open and bleeding actively the immature roosters were mounting her and we do not want to see more of that. I was tossing rooster-roaches like crazy at her point of injury.

Additionally, after the mower incident she appears to be suffering some severe PTSD relating to us.

Last edited:
Re-introducing myself to BYC... haven't been on in a long while. Living somewhere south of SA now... these two hatched today....

Attachments

• FE774AD5-8980-4CF9-9393-4AED395EE464.jpeg
    FE774AD5-8980-4CF9-9393-4AED395EE464.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 9
Re-introducing myself to BYC... haven't been on in a long while. Living somewhere south of SA now... these two hatched today....
WB to BYC. Hey I'm south of SA too, ok about 4 hours south. I use Mexico as a spatial reference so I doubt we are close. Interesting chicks and quite melanistic looking feet, what are they Ayam Cemani? Cute chicks regardless welcome back.
:frow

Last edited:
WB to BYC. Hey I'm south of SA too, ok about 4 hours south. I use Mexico as a spatial reference so I doubt we are close. Interesting chicks and quite melanistic looking feet, what are they Ayam Cemani? Cute chicks regardless welcome back.
:frow
They are barnyard mixed.... my rooster is a splash color Silverudd blue, and hens are mixes...

2 AM half intoxicated post. Pumpkin is still on my mind and DW and I keep saying tomorrow she is getting moved outside. She is still in her living room cat box.

I am kicking myself for not taking the time to fuse her human equivalent of radius and ulnar bones together with my amputation. I hope they fuse on their own. Oh well I guess the pain will teach her not to flap that wing too much throughout life if they don't. Then again this is a 1.2(1.155 now) pound silkie and I didn't have the equipment nor experience to deal with her trauma at her micro level.

Lately she is pulling out her feathers. I think she needs more stimulation than she gets living in a living room cat box. DW is afraid the roosters will cause her problems, but I think they are silkies and too stupid to notice now.

Last edited:
Allen, I have never dealt with silkies, so this may not apply. A few years back, I had a dog attack my flock. One of my Australorps was badly mauled. She had deep long gouges all over her back. I cleaned her up and kept her in a cage within the coop. I cleaned her wounds several times a day. I put her back in with the flock after a couple days. One of the other Australorps became her nurse/friend. Nobody ever bothered her. She lived several years after that and always laid an egg.

Good luck with your little silkie.

Pumpkin spent her second to third night outside and is tolerating it pretty well. "Lucky" my prettiest but youngest frizzled roo(and solo survivor from his clutch of 5 "winter hawkagedon") seems to have eyes for her. She is a smart cookie though and staying in her prison safety cell for the most part. She has quite a few new feathers sprouting up all over her defeathered parts and is no longer being treated as if she is a medical concern by us. She has surprisingly more function in that shoulder joint than I ever expected.

Just waiting on the Blue Sumatra(only 1 month old) to mature enough and integrate with the Black Sumatra so I can pull all the Silkie roo's from the flock and put them back in their "pad". 2 Silkies just went broody again:( Geeze they never end I really do not like keeping Silkies you can reason with normal hens, and they incubate eggs not dreams of them or rocks.

On the dog front the last add was a Belgian Malinois male that we had watched two neighbors keep chaining out and throwing up their hands in frustration over and passing him back and forth since January. Well he is mostly integrated into the household. Is not tied out on a chain and is a decent enough but high energy house dog. I sleep better not hearing him bark himself hoarse nightly. He still has his issues but they are better. I think their main problem was his human aggression at feeding time(which is a non issue for us as we don't use food to control him) and his night terrors, heck I can't blame him with all of our scorpions. I'm not going out at night without a blacklight or military boots either. The boy is filling out nicely, not jumping up on anyone and fun to play with. He is quite large for the breed and looks like he will end up at 85lbs. Youtubing the breed has me concerned I only have a 6 foot high fence, but he seems intent to stay on this side of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom