Texas

Luckily this Roo is used to being picked up and handled, has never minded it either. That's why I call him my best Roo. Other reasons too, I just had to try and save that eye. I'm so glad that I did. He is doing great this morning, eating, drinking, crowing, swollen just a bit, tons of black crusty scabs. Ready to go enjoy the day in the tractor next to his family for some down time and healing now. Pouring rain finally stopped here, I didn't figure either of us wanted to get drenched. LoL I see what you mean about not intervening, I can't believe the overnight change in his wounds. Chickens heal fast, wow! Thanks so much for all the advice everyone!
Glad to hear that...just keep an eye on him and keep us updated!

Quick question to my fellow Texans, are 9 pullets age 7 & 8 months, too many for an 8 month old roo?

I don't know about the ages, but I keep my ratio around 1:10. Any fewer hens per rooster means I have more naked hens and more in-fighting. I currently have 70 chickens and 8 roosters, 5 of which are around 7 months. 3 of the youngsters are getting along great with the adult roos, as long as they don't act stupid in front of them. The bottom two youngsters are bleeping idiots. The hens don't seem to like them either - probably because they're insecure and instead of courting a group, they go for the attack/mount/run method. It's still better than what I had before these youngsters were hatched. Then I had a group of 5 idiots that would gang up on the hens. They all became dinner. :)

Well, this seems as good-a-time-&-place as any for this rambling post to join in the fun.....

All of our chickens have been raised since last April in dog crates enmass next to each other. Then we had to seperate the Cockerels to a batchelor pad for several months.... I have been trying to test the likely hood of reintroduction of multiple roos with the hens. So far the neutral zone of the small penned in back yard has been a very good test over the last 3 odd months. Started with one roo solo with hens for 10-15 minutes. One day then the next roo with hens solo for 10-15 minutes, and each day followed a different roo. Then dual Roo's with hens for 10-30 minutes in the coming weeks. Then it's been up to them all to return to the run & coop(for hens) & crates for the roo's. As of today two of the 3 Roo's voluntarily joined each other in one crate for the 1st time in since before they had started to chortle as beginner Cockerels. I'm wondering about how this can continue to develop for the #3&4 Roo's as I try test all 4 & then all 5 with the hens for open living with hens in coop & run and routine open doggy door to the yard from the run. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Well, this seems as good-a-time-&-place as any for this rambling post to join in the fun.....

All of our chickens have been raised since last April in dog crates enmass next to each other. Then we had to seperate the Cockerels to a batchelor pad for several months.... I have been trying to test the likely hood of reintroduction of multiple roos with the hens. So far the neutral zone of the small penned in back yard has been a very good test over the last 3 odd months. Started with one roo solo with hens for 10-15 minutes. One day then the next roo with hens solo for 10-15 minutes, and each day followed a different roo. Then dual Roo's with hens for 10-30 minutes in the coming weeks. Then it's been up to them all to return to the run & coop(for hens) & crates for the roo's. As of today two of the 3 Roo's voluntarily joined each other in one crate for the 1st time in since before they had started to chortle as beginner Cockerels. I'm wondering about how this can continue to develop for the #3&4 Roo's as I try test all 4 & then all 5 with the hens for open living with hens in coop & run and routine open doggy door to the yard from the run. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Well if all else fails you can check for the melanistic qualities of their bones with the extra roos to evaluate the quality of your silkie stock. Mine failed the test and had white bones. They also fail at the task of defending the flock so they are going to become a footnote to my chicken keeping experience. Shutting down this infuriating line of chicken.

I'll stick with my half wild jungle fowl for knowing how to act, well except for the spurring me in the face part. The dogs are trained to run em down on command now saves me a few hours of waiting for them to roost. Plus the Malinois loves playing frisbee and can catch some serious air. I bet catch the flight capable rooster would be a game he is good at. Tonight's headcount had 7/7 Sumatra Pen roos evicted to the trees and coop roof with just 4/4 ladies sleeping inside. Someday I am going to take some nice photos of this pretty SuSi cockerel(Jan 2019 hatch sumatra/silkie) and get them posted. Such a mellow dude at twice the weight of a normal silkie, flighted and a long developing sickled tail. For some reason he still doesn't challenge the established silkie roos and his mohawk hairdoo still leaves him sighted.

Last edited:
Am I correct in calculating the odds of 6/6 straight run chicks being 1:64 all cockerels? I am suggesting stastically it is a simple 2x2x2x2x2x2 math problem so 1:64 odds. Educate me please. I'm not trying to suggest I know anything of statistics. I am probably as gifted as @RUNuts is reading and using European road signs with statistics.

It was 5.25 per chick before $40+ in shipping and handling fees $73.12 in total from Cackle. I do not have enough Sumatra hens to support this number of roos once they are fully sexually mature. I am just feeling annoyed and taken advantage of as these were ordered during late April so the lockdowns and panic toilet paper hoarding was going on and chicks were delivered in the first week of June.

Previously my two prior hatchery(Ideal and Meyers) orders didn't go like this, nor have my silkie hatches out of the incubator or broodies gone like this. I did the Blue Sumatra census tonight and there ain't a single female feature among them at 4.5 months of age they are all obvious(spurs/hackles/saddles/sickles they just haven't started their fight club hackle feather flaring behavior yet).

I emailed their customer service and willing to see if they can make this right, and begrudgingly accepting the fact I have to cull some without letting bleeding heart know my plan in advance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom