Texas

Murray McMurray will ship. They are in iowa.
Looking for Embden or American Buff, or mix goslings. I have been trying to google search buying them somewhere close to San Antonio, but it seems inpossible.

Is there some secret way to google search these geese? Or maybe they aren't popular in Texas? We want to get a female gosling to raise with our ducks for when we move into the country as a guardian/alert companion. But when I search for "embden" or "buff" geese in Texas, I get nothing, or I get a runaround or dead websites. Am I doing it wrong, or is there some secret term only goose lovers know that us duck lovers don't? :lol:

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. We don't want chinese or african, as from what I've read, they can be seriously mean to outsiders and noisy and I don't want either issues. Unless anyone has another suggestion that I haven't considered?

Or does anyone here have these geese and are looking to unload a female gosling?
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/white_embden.html

Thanks @Matejka
Ideal is where I got my runners. They only deal in African and Chinese, which are too aggressive for us. I want people to come to our house at some point!

I tried to find the other place listed there, but couldn't. I may try calling them, though.

We've had really bad experiences with shipping animals. We've lost more than received alive and it is too heartbreaking.

Got my babies moved from tote to kennel
20210321_170232.jpg

I have too many drakes and am hoping to find a new home for 2 or 3 drakes, one of each: Pekin, Khaki Campbell, Rouen.

Located near Dallas, TX.

Attachments

• CBC76D4B-3354-4956-97BF-5CA6680F1B63.jpeg
    CBC76D4B-3354-4956-97BF-5CA6680F1B63.jpeg
    836.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7646B01C-9136-4090-93D0-BA3A43E44F95.jpeg
    7646B01C-9136-4090-93D0-BA3A43E44F95.jpeg
    930 KB · Views: 0
  • 8113A7F8-091B-4490-B7C5-F11DFE7B1C62.jpeg
    8113A7F8-091B-4490-B7C5-F11DFE7B1C62.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
That sucks, I'm sorry.
My fence isn't a fence right now and yet another pannel fell yesterday in the wind storm. Fortunately the area where the coops are going is very healthy. The rest we are ripping off the planks and putting up 12g livestock fencing. Which I plan to use in combination of with chicken wire for my run. I know it's not the most kosher move to forgo any hardware cloth but I've been lookinf around at everyone's coops around here and less than 1/5th have hardware cloth. I actually have yet to see a hardware cloth run in person. But people in my local facebook group have a few. I live in a very dead/dying city 30 miles out of town. So I assume we don't have much in the way for raccoons. Not enough population to support it I'd suspect. But I KNOW we have foxes, coyotes and shitty dog owners all over. So instead of spending the extra money on hardware cloth I figured it would be best to get really good quality thick livestock wire. For the coop tho, I still intend to wrap its openings in hardware.
I plan to put 3 feet of privacy fence around the bottom of the run as well. So hopefully that will deter most smaller critters from trying to put hands though.
I lived in Cypress when I got my chickens back in 2010. The run, at the time, ran along the side of the barn and the bottom 3 feet was hardware cloth and the rest was chicken wire. Worked fine. Until it was 5 years old and the raccoons started ripping holes in it and killing all my hens. Lost 21 hens over 4 weeks as we kept patching and trying to trap. Big old boar coon that had obviously been trapped and released many times in his life. He wasn't falling for it again. So, yeah, I'm against trap/release, too. Just creates unstoppable killing machines. Anyway, we threw in the towel for maintenance and rebuilt the entire run with hardware cloth - I had some on a gate in the horse pen that was 20 years old and still strong. Plus, since the main coop was a stall in the barn, took down all the chicken wire along the top and replaced that also with hardware cloth. The place was Ft. Knox.
When we moved here, I wasn't planning an enclosed run, so I built a big coop. 2 stalls of the barn with hardware cloth going from the top of the walls all the way up to the roof. Gives them lots of air, but NOTHING is getting in there at night. My runs are fenced with horse fencing. Keeps the hens in. Electric wire along the outside keeps predators from getting close enough to climb or dig. 3 years now and I've lost one hen to a predator, (not counting my own dog).

Yeahhh and I see the argument for hardware cloth but he'll if it's not expensive af. And it seems like chicken keepers regularly using it has just made it more pricey. I also have seen my dog bend hardware cloth no problem(he's a real Houdini) so I wanted something thick enough that I could hardly.bend it, much less him/ the neighbors dogs. But the bottom edge of the coop is being reinforces with fence planks and the other 3 sides will be completely solid so I'm hoping thatll also be a massive deterrent for most critters. At the end of the day, they'll be locked in wooden cabinets and safe from damn near everything aside from maybe a crafty snake. I don't think we should have many issues with small critters tho. Too many dogs running loose in the area all hours of the day. If it weren't helpful for keeping my animals alive, Id probably be actually raising a fuss about the environmental impact there must be from every time dick and harry have 24/7 outdoor only dogs with 0 restraint systems. They seriously chase my car most days I go anywhere into town and fully obstruct me from getting anywhere. It really gets on my nerves but at least it means that there's been no critter activity. We only have about 300 people in town. Theres probably over 100 abandoned houses here and it was only about 1000 people at its peak

I think, for outside stuff, the horse fencing would be just fine. It's strong, comes in huge rolls that you can cut in half, if necessary and nothing but a chick is going to waltz through it. I'm a little gun-shy (predator-shy??). I cannot believe the how many predators I had to deal with in Suburbia vs. out here in the country. Guess most of the predators out here have plenty to eat and don't need to bother me. Yet. I'm still gonna be watching for them.

I think, for outside stuff, the horse fencing would be just fine. It's strong, comes in huge rolls that you can cut in half, if necessary and nothing but a chick is going to waltz through it. I'm a little gun-shy (predator-shy??). I cannot believe the how many predators I had to deal with in Suburbia vs. out here in the country. Guess most of the predators out here have plenty to eat and don't need to bother me. Yet. I'm still gonna be watching for them.
Suburbia breeds small clever predators and those are the major risk. For my quails I had issues with racoons back in georgia but also hawks and even had some vultures take a stab at the cage once. I haven't seen a single hawk since moving out here. 🤷‍♀️

Thunder woke me up. 66, thunder, lightning, light rain,severe thunderstorm warning. Sitting outside on porch enjoying rain, drinking coffee. Thinking. The human population is being turned into wimps. We sit in our houses, wood, brick, tin....whatever, even campers. And get warnings about everything. Think about it! 150 years ago, people coming west , and many others, didn't have ANY place safe to get out/away from storms, rain,snow. They toughed it out.
Enjoy the beauty of nature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom