Texas

Need to worm my birds and kinda lost.
after 4-5 days of warm, damp wet weather
I saw worms (I think) on poop tray, I cleaned thoroughly, and nothing since. Could it have been maggots?
Either way I'm gonna worm.
I have safeguard (for goats) and syringes.
Got dosage amount.
But but.... 1 dose? Or 5 dose?
Opinions comments help?
I know I’ve seen that pour on ivermectin is what a lot of people use for chickens. You just need a couple drops in different spots. We have some for our cows but I’ve actually never wormed my chickens. I give them canteloupe occasionally and I’ve heard that’s a natural wormer. I guess I figured I’d worm them if I actually see worms. But I will say, I did find maggots when cleaning out the coop after the bad storms we had last week in south tx. I was shocked because I clean the coop almost daily but flies are HORRIBLE right now and when it warmed up after the rain I guess they just went to town. Now I’m looking into fly control options 🤢

I know I’ve seen that pour on ivermectin is what a lot of people use for chickens. You just need a couple drops in different spots. We have some for our cows but I’ve actually never wormed my chickens. I give them canteloupe occasionally and I’ve heard that’s a natural wormer. I guess I figured I’d worm them if I actually see worms. But I will say, I did find maggots when cleaning out the coop after the bad storms we had last week in south tx. I was shocked because I clean the coop almost daily but flies are HORRIBLE right now and when it warmed up after the rain I guess they just went to town. Now I’m looking into fly control options 🤢
I have been overrun with flies too and ordered 2 ranch fly catchers for the back yard- the neighbors may not appreciate the smell, but they sure won’t enjoy the flies. It has been unusually cool- 55 degrees here in Central Texas this morning. Maybe that has something to do with the fly plague.

Chickens are fly control. They love maggots and will fight me for them. I add more carbon to the wet stuff to suppress the stink and let nature go.

We are fighting biting buffalo gnats. Nasty little buggers that hang around the quail. Vinegar bowls are slightly effective, fly traps grab a couple, permethrin fly spray is the only thing I've found to knock them out of the air. Don't like using it, but I do.

Feed the maggots to the chickens. Spray the flies. Good luck.

Chickens are fly control. They love maggots and will fight me for them. I add more carbon to the wet stuff to suppress the stink and let nature go.

We are fighting biting buffalo gnats. Nasty little buggers that hang around the quail. Vinegar bowls are slightly effective, fly traps grab a couple, permethrin fly spray is the only thing I've found to knock them out of the air. Don't like using it, but I do.

Feed the maggots to the chickens. Spray the flies. Good luck.
That’s a good point! They weren’t eating them when I found them but they were out free ranging at the time. I was so grossed out I didn’t even think to feed them to them I just cleaned up! I will if it happens again though. And I’ll definitely look into the spray. Thank you!

Ivermectin is expensive. 1-2 drops on 6 chickens and then I have a full bottle left. I looked for a small amount without luckn before getting safeguard. I feel they were maggots also.
Thank you!
Better safe than wormy

Back
Top Bottom