Texas

I actually recognize that user ID….. not sure why right this moment but, I do.

Didn’t *know* this was one of their skill sets, good to know. :caf
Probably because @Kiki summons me to her madness on occasion.
Love the new avatar....Julie Andrews, uh...no....Janiedoe! :lau :gig🤣
I think that's a character from a Miyazaki Studios film, but I could be wrong.

Probably because @Kiki summons me to her madness on occasion.

I think that's a character from a Miyazaki Studios film, but I could be wrong.
I thought it was a cartoon reference to Sound of Music. Someone else thought it was a cartoon Heidi.
Idk. Looks like Chasing Spring to me.

Wild bird seed from TSC. It's cheaper than all BOSS. I'm putting some out on the ground, some on a board above the ground, and some on top of an abandon pen...or I should say, "an unused pen".
When it's icy, it's like a magnitude difference in them finding something to eat and survive, so it helps them, I don't just quit giving it after the bad weather is gone, I'll quit when we get into full blown spring. I've been putting it out since November.
Had a huge flock of Orchard orioles came by today, they didn't eat any feed but picked the berries off the Hackberry trees.
I quit buying birdseed. I have 3 feeders that I fill.
I use a mixture of boss/chicken scratch.
Chickens are birds
Chickens eat scratch
Birds eat scratch.
Soooo.....
I also scatter feed on ground.

A man contacted me about my cockerels from a Craigslist ad that I had placed.
He has a large rooster flock on several acres and some bantam pens, as well. After talking to him a bit I am very hopefully that mine will fit in.
I would love to keep them all, but with my husband was diagnosed with cmt about 15 years ago and it is worsening. I'm weeding down my flock.
I've decided to let my hens die off naturally, and I probably/almost certainly won't let them hatch any chicks in the future.
This fall I had a pretty bad head injury, and I realized that I didn't have anyone who could help with all these chickens. My daughter made a two hour drive and stayed almost a week with us. She didn't know much about chickens, but she did her best, and no one starved or did without water. But it was an awakening.
In case of an emergency it would be hard to find someone to manage my flock, while I'm away or incapacitated.
Giving up most of the cockerels and roosters will certainly help a lot. It will free up two coops and runs, and It will probably cut the feed bill quite a bit too.
I'll be keeping about 3 or 4 of them. One or two standards and a couple of bantams.
That means the other 8 to 10 will be leaving this weekend.

So I am wondering do any of you have an emergency caretaker? What happens with your animals if something happens to you?

A man contacted me about my cockerels from a Craigslist ad that I had placed.
He has a large rooster flock on several acres and some bantam pens, as well. After talking to him a bit I am very hopefully that mine will fit in.
I would love to keep them all, but with my husband was diagnosed with cmt about 15 years ago and it is worsening. I'm weeding down my flock.
I've decided to let my hens die off naturally, and I probably/almost certainly won't let them hatch any chicks in the future.
This fall I had a pretty bad head injury, and I realized that I didn't have anyone who could help with all these chickens. My daughter made a two hour drive and stayed almost a week with us. She didn't know much about chickens, but she did her best, and no one starved or did without water. But it was an awakening.
In case of an emergency it would be hard to find someone to manage my flock, while I'm away or incapacitated.
Giving up most of the cockerels and roosters will certainly help a lot. It will free up two coops and runs, and It will probably cut the feed bill quite a bit too.
I'll be keeping about 3 or 4 of them. One or two standards and a couple of bantams.
That means the other 8 to 10 will be leaving this weekend.

So I am wondering do any of you have an emergency caretaker? What happens with your animals if something happens to you?
no. When I get sick, I still take care of the animals. It makes me think. The kids have moved (ran) away.
Sorry to hear about your husband. We are slowly dealing with the wife's issues. They won't get better. Prayers and thoughts to you.

We are discussing retirement plans. Follow a kid (they spread to the four winds)? Down to one parent between us. Other option is near a sibling. All involve moving. Unfortunately, everyone is north of us. The bananas won't make the trip.

Find your priorities. :lau Chickens and bananas are mine at the moment.

no. When I get sick, I still take care of the animals. It makes me think. The kids have moved (ran) away.
Sorry to hear about your husband. We are slowly dealing with the wife's issues. They won't get better. Prayers and thoughts to you.

We are discussing retirement plans. Follow a kid (they spread to the four winds)? Down to one parent between us. Other option is near a sibling. All involve moving. Unfortunately, everyone is north of us. The bananas won't make the trip.

Same boat. Children scattered, grandchildren branching out and scattering themselves. Dogs, cats, and chickens are my priority. Gardening is my husband's. I'm still healthy but the knock on the head has left me with some residual problems. Nothing too awful, but it has made me think about the welfare of my chickens.
I informed my broodies that we have to stop having babies. We are just too old. I think one of my old broodies is going blind too. She has to be helped on and off the roost now. She is only 7. The others are 5 and younger.
( The cats and dogs would have homes with the kids. )

I wanted to say thank you for the prayers and thoughts. I'd like to offer the same for you and your wife.
Getting old isn't great, but it beats the alternative..I think. Or maybe I'm not old enough just yet for the alternative to look better. 😉

I wanted to say thank you for the prayers and thoughts. I'd like to offer the same for you and your wife.
Getting old isn't great, but it beats the alternative..I think. Or maybe I'm not old enough just yet for the alternative to look better. 😉
What’s your scale of reference?
“Baba” one of my Gramma’a passed away a while back … she was just 2 months shy of 104 y/o.

By that scale of reference……?

Back
Top Bottom