Texas

howdy..hoping some fellow texans can help me out...at 14 wks old i have 4 rir roos and 1 pullet..don't worry i have 9 pullets in the house as we speak for her company...2 of my roos are getting VERY aggressive..they try to keep the others in the coop and i would rather try to rehome them first before i have them processed...my other pullets are 4 wks and went outside for the first time today to see the other chickens...seperated by fence of coarse...the 2 aggressers screamed liked crazy and tried to get to the other chicks through the fence..i just have a feeling that when the time comes to put them together i'm going to lose some because of these roos...so i'm in the amarillo area and i know that roos are hard to get rid of..but i have to try...they will be free if anyone is interested. thanks so much

Quote:
Ive never been a big fan of bantams, they just dont appeal to me. But out of curiousity I looked up the rare breeds of birds and these were on the critically endangered list. So I started checking into them and just love them! They are so tiny and cute! The first website doesnt really have any good pictures of the hens. The second one does though. I love being unique and have things not everyone has. I dont want rhode island reds(nothing against them) because everybody and their momma have them. I like to have something not everybody in the neighborhood has. I have araucanas and welsummers(just b/c I love them) eggs right now. Plus when I was reading up on nankins, everyone says they are the most friendly birds. The cocks are gentle and nonaggressive. Plus they tend to hang around the coop when they are allowed to free range. Which was one of the reasons why I didnt want bantams to begin with. They love to fly and run off alot. But the down fall since they are on the critically endangered list, is that they are hard to find.
hmm.png

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/4/4-1/nankin_bantams_something_old_something_new.html

This lady has some great photos of them:
http://www.kswaterfowl.blogspot.com/

http://rarepoultryalliance.com/index.php

I also like rare breeds, thought this would be helpful to you! Hey, does anyone in the central Texas area want to go in on some Bev Davis line Black Copper Marans from Greenfire Farm with me? I only want 1 or 2 hens, but they ship them in a box that can hold anywhere from 6 (with Pumpkin Hulseys as packing) to 20 chicks. I'm also going to have a few Mille Fleur D'Uccles and White Crested Black Polish I won't need in a month or so (whenever I can tell who's a hen and who's a roo, can only keep 1 hen of each).

Hello,
I am recently new to this forum and also recently new to the awesome state of Texas. I lived here for almost two years and wished I moved here moons ago. LOL I live close to Canton. First Monday Trade Day......I have 11 Hens and 7 Roo's and 25 baby B.R. pullets on the way from MyPetChicken.

Quote:
Thanks. Thats the website I used to find the nankins. I dont need any more eggs/chicks right now. But if your intersted I have Wade Jeane line BCM's. They are slowly starting to lay again. I had 5 out of 6 hens go broody all at the same time. I dont know if your trying to introduce a new bloodline or not.

Howdy everyone!

I am from the Rio Grande Valley area (Pharr) and am very new to having backyard chickens. Its something I wanted to do for a long time and have currently started doing these last couple of months. I have 4 Marans and 4 Orpington buffs in my backyard. If any one is from the RGV area pm me so we can chat about chickens!! lol Its great to have become part of the BYC site!

yall have a good one!

Well we've gotten quite a bit of rain from Alex up here in DFW, but I believe it hit in Mexico as a Cat 1. But the moisture levels are unreal, so it's really muggy. I guess you could say we're being "mugged" by Alex.
lau.gif

Sorry. I don't know where that came from...

It's still raining?! It was raining when I left!!!

It's absolutely gorgeous up here in Illinois. The temp is mid 70's and they're whining about how hot it is! My aunt was saying it was too hot to be walking at 5 p.m. and I asked her if she was kidding since I get up at 6 a.m. to walk in that weather!

Back
Top Bottom