Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Blanche was not on the roost when I opened the coop. I found her hiding in a corner underneath the crate. She must have fallen off during the night. It's not likely she was pushed off, because she fell asleep right against Gaston.
It looked again like she would not make it through the day, which was our potato planting day. Instead of leaving her in the crate where she would be alone most of the day in the coop, we decided to take her with us, thinking she could sleep in the sun and we could watch her more easily.

It was wonderful to see her wake up and begin to follow my partner while he was digging the ranges. She even pretended to scratch a bit and caught some worms she didn't manage to eat.

While we were having lunch outside, she moved to the entrance of the chicken yard and laid down against the door. I thought maybe she wanted to go back in so I opened it, but she made it clear she wanted to stay on the other side. Then she fell in a deep sleep, and once again I thought she would die and had chosen to be close to the others but protected from interactions.

Our neighbour came over for coffee and when he saw her he offered to put her down. But now we feel both sure that for Blanche, unless she is in pain like she was a week ago, euthanasia is not the right decision. She never gives up. In the middle of the afternoon I was very surprised to see she got up again and moved around just a little bit while Piou-piou came out to scratch in the manure pile.

Tonight I put her in the crate ; she is definitely too weak to sleep on the roost. As soon as she was inside she fell again in a deep slumber.

IMG_20240421_211602.jpg
IMG_20240421_211517.jpg
IMG_20240421_211442.jpg
IMG_20240421_211409.jpg

I hope Blanche will find her peace before her live gets miserable. 💕
She is taking a long time to die, but now she is unconscious sleeping almost all day, so I hope she does not feel any pain.
The internet 🛜 is a bit unreliable, hopefully good enough to send you a photo of one of todays highlight of our hike to the 25 cascades on Madeira.

View attachment 3807878
Beautiful, thanks for sharing! I hope you enjoyed your holidays.

Past two days we had a little sun, a little snow, some hail,and unfortunately a whole night in the -c/ below 30°. So anything that fears cold and had survived the first night is now frozen 🙁. The walnut tree, the grapevines and especially the raspberry grapevine we planted last year outside the chicken run, the kiwi trees, all the baby saplings.. they won't die but no fruit and likely no more growth this year.

The chickens also don't understand these sudden weather changes ; but now they are pretty used to shelter in the coop and run when it snows /hails.

A summary of Théo's daily life in pictures.
A ray of sun ? Let's bathe with Piou-piou!
IMG_20240423_110718.jpg

Oh no...hackles raised...
IMG_20240423_110723.jpg

This guy is coming....I run !
IMG_20240423_110726.jpg

And he takes my place 😱!
IMG_20240423_110731.jpg

Twenty times a day we repeat "Gaston, laisse le petit coq tranquille !" = "leave the small rooster be !" I am certain Gaston knows what this means by now.

Random pictures.
IMG_20240422_165223.jpg
IMG_20240422_152329.jpg

Not chickens. The lambs are pretty upset they had to go back in their shelter just a week after being let out to graze, but it's really too cold for the younger ones. I saw the kids for the first time, they are just a few days.
IMG_20240422_174742.jpg

Merle is being courted by both Théo and Gaston since she is laying again.
IMG_20240423_163201.jpg
IMG_20240423_163259.jpg

Chipie hates the cold.
IMG_20240423_163419.jpg
IMG_20240423_163445.jpg

What is that exceptional excellent treat that has Mélisse climb on my partner's knees 😬?
IMG_20240423_170853.jpg

Past consumption date pork ham given to us by our elderly neighbour. Of course he did not intend it for the chickens 🤢

Back
Top Bottom