Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Pics
When I opened the coop this morning I could distinguish only three chickens on Gaston's roost ! Léa was already in a nest, and she had chosen the one right next to Cannelle's roost. But no one paid attention, and even Gaston didn't seem to realize and came out of the coop without turning around looking for her.
So she's back to laying after 10 days off from her broody mood ! When she came out I saw Cannelle had already laid before her, also a relief as she hadn't been laying for three days.
Merle laid a bit later in the coop, Piou-piou in the wood shed, and Nougat in the run. Only Chipie had something going wrong: I was intent on following her to see if /where she was laying, and she actually spent two hours in various nests of the coop, screaming for Théo like she does, and singing when she came out, but no egg.

The chickens had a great morning. Théo's team foraged all morning while Gaston's team had great fun helping us to store some pine wood in the shed. They quickly understood that underneath the barks they could find some yummy wood worms and went crazy over them.
Then, however, we had again many raptors flying over : Gallicus hawks, vultures, and small sparrowhawks, all in couples. I don't know what's the heck is going on, it seems there is a raptor convention near our house 😱.
Gaston has now the behaviour we wished him to have, he goes to shelter in the woodshed, and calls the pullets to him.

Today I brewed them tea with thyme and wormwood and some honey to make it test better. I don't think it will solve the worm issue but it won't harm them.

The rooster's relationship has really gone backwards since we've restricted the netted zone that acts as Théo's territory. I really want to give a chance for the grass to grow back so I'm decided to keep it like this for a other two to three weeks at least. Then, my partner wants to try to use the netting to completely block access to the garden and to keep both teams in the same space, which would be bigger for Théo's team but very restricted compared to free ranging for Gaston's. I will go ahead as keeping the chickens out of the garden is becoming another subject of heated discussion...but I'm sure it won't work. Gaston's team is clever enough to bypass the netting.

Looking for yummy worms. Merle was horrible and kept attacking Léa today.
IMG_20230330_160220.jpg
IMG_20230330_144323.jpg
IMG_20230330_160117.jpg
IMG_20230330_160032.jpg

Here you can see the front of the woodshed. I'm hesitant to paint the steel sheets or grow some perennials so they don't show as much. The part on the right is where we will put a small raised coop.
IMG_20230330_163249.jpg

Morning toilet...and then Gaston had to come show Théo's hen how shiny his feathers and impressive his torso 🤣.
IMG_20230330_091331.jpg
IMG_20230330_091959.jpg

Dustbathing sequence... Théo got both Blanche and Cannelle to run. I'm actually beginning to wonder about getting a saddle for Blanche or isolating her in the evenings as she's getting tired and looking in pain again.
IMG_20230330_150734.jpg
IMG_20230330_150758.jpg
IMG_20230330_150813.jpg

The flipping thing
IMG_20230330_150807.jpg

You Talkin' to me ? Notice the bended knee posture- to muster up the ki ?
IMG_20230330_170600.jpg

IMG_20230330_170443.jpg

IMG_20230330_093007~2.jpg
IMG_20230330_165136.jpg
IMG_20230330_103903.jpg
IMG_20230330_150914.jpg

Throwing wood chips (?) on her after laying.
IMG_20230330_092903.jpg
IMG_20230330_150923.jpg

She did it. She flew on the table and grabbed cake in the pan before I could react 😱. We have a monster here.
IMG_20230330_125137.jpg

Last edited:
we had again many raptors flying over : Gallicus hawks, vultures, and small sparrowhawks, all in couples
same here, though just one pair of hawks. I assume they're courting/renewing their acquaintance.
Gaston has now the behaviour we wished him to have, he goes to shelter in the woodshed, and calls the pullets to him.
:yesss:

It's heartening news! But why did you think of me, because puffins are actually predators ?
Years ago I went for a month road trip in Iceland and saw loads on the cliffs of the western coast, but that is the only time I ever saw them.

Yesterday just after posting I happened to receive this text about predators. (I subscribed to this lady's writings as she adresses many of my own dilemmas, and although I rarely agree I often find her point of view interesting).

Tiny Piou-piou is acting very unwell today. I'm not sure what's wrong, shes usually so alert. Thinking either egg bound or a splint / broken leg, but I can't catch her to check. I'm worried 😟.

But why did you think of me,
I thought it was you who posted somewhere some time ago about being in N Wales and hoping to see some puffins on an island up there, but there weren't any. Did I muddle memories? I wonder who it was if not you... :rolleyes::th:p Thanks for the link; I'll have a look now. Edited to add: good read!

Last edited:
Well, my mistake. I managed to catch Piou-piou : she has a very ugly wound under one wing from Gaston's mating.I cleaned it up as best as I could being on my own but it's still a big bloody hole full of cluttered earth. It must have been wounded for a long time, but she's so defiant I never saw anything.
I didn't see worms but she smells a bit off. I sprayed her with chlorhexidine and now she is in the dog crate in the woodshed.

I made an appointment with a vet for Monday afternoon. Unfortunately the good vet at the clinic we saw for Caramel is on vacation just next week. Anyway my guess is that if she survives until Monday she will be healing. She is still eating and drinking, and crying out her anger at being locked up.

I've been told countless times this would happen but of course I didn't listen 🙁. I checked Merle and she doesn't have any injury, Léa I will have to check at night as she is too afraid of me.
I'll post tomorrow about the rest of the day
IMG_20230331_143819.jpg

IMG_20230331_142318.jpg
IMG_20230331_122150.jpg

IMG_20230331_152843.jpg

My chickens always have problems on friday when my partner is unavailable until sunday morning. Cleaning up a struggling chicken under the wing is not easy alone, I would have needed three hands to hold her, raise her wing, and clean. Maybe I could have done it better giving her a bath, but I was afraid of stressing her and tried to make it quick. I put the wound under running lukewarm water and washed gently with soap, but almost nothing came off. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a bath.

I'm not sure if the yellow thing that sticks out isn't bone or cartilage- it's completely hard to the touch.

For now she is depressed and she calls after Gaston, who completely ignored her once he realized she was in the crate. I wish I could leave the crate outside on the grass but we're having a wind storm until tomorrow afternoon.

I'm hopeful but not certain she will heal but I'm not sure what to do after. I guess in the end we may have to re-home Gaston 😔. Though Piou-piou would probably prefer to die than to be separated from him.
IMG_20230331_172532.jpg

I thought it was you who posted somewhere some time ago about being in N Wales and hoping to see some puffins on an island up there, but there weren't any. Did I muddle memories? I wonder who it was if not you... :rolleyes::th:p Thanks for the link; I'll have a look now. Edited to add: good read!
It was me! I traveled between Leicester and Dublin by train and sea especially to stop in Holyhead and see the puffins but on the day, my knee let me down.

Well, my mistake. I managed to catch Piou-piou : she has a very ugly wound under one wing from Gaston's mating.I cleaned it up as best as I could being on my own but it's still a big bloody hole full of cluttered earth. It must have been wounded for a long time, but she's so defiant I never saw anything.
I didn't see worms but she smells a bit off. I sprayed her with chlorhexidine and now she is in the dog crate in the woodshed.

I made an appointment with a vet for Monday afternoon. Unfortunately the good vet at the clinic we saw for Caramel is on vacation just next week. Anyway my guess is that if she survives until Monday she will be healing. She is still eating and drinking, and crying out her anger at being locked up.

I've been told countless times this would happen but of course I didn't listen 🙁. I checked Merle and she doesn't have any injury, Léa I will have to check at night as she is too afraid of me.
I'll post tomorrow about the rest of the day
View attachment 3450085
View attachment 3450086
You need to get that clean, It's a wound of some long standing. Get all that black crap off. You will need an antibiotic ointment at least. If you can get antibiotics from your vet or doctor by whatever it takes do it. Amoxicillin capsules will do. Open the capsule and divide by four. One quarter morning and night for five days.
Chlorhexedine is not a wound cleaner. It's an antiseptice and needs to be applied and left on the wound to become properly active. I think 24 hours of absorbtion is correct. See By Bob for any further information. Make sure you get the Chlohexidine under any loose flaps of skin. Spur wounds usually leave skin patches which you may have to cut away at some point. It's infection you need to worry about. They go from fine to very ill very quickly should an infection set in.
Metacam for the pain. You can get it for dogs in France I know.
Obviously you need to file the points off Gaston's spurs. You also need to sort out living arrangements so the two rooster have their own space. No need to get rid of Gaston; you just need to seperate the two.
Don't dump Gaston. It's not his fault and the hens will miss him.

Back
Top Bottom