Thank you BYC! Successful flock intergration

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
It has been 3 days since I put both flocks into one coop and everyone is alive, no blood, a few pecking order tifs but overall it has been a great success.
ya.gif

I can't remember whose page it was that had how to successful intergrate 2 flocks together. So who ever that person is thank you!

1 flock of 5 hens was almost 1.5 years old and the other 7 pullets about 25 weeks old.

I first started with having them free range together and then I brought out treats so they were all eating in close quarters. They were too busy eating treats to worry about each other. After days of this I then moved the tractor next to the coop and so they could see each other all day. then more free ranging with treats. I moved all the feeders and watering can from the tractor into the run so there was 2 feeding and watering stations. Hung some zucinni in the run for some entertainment, got them all in the run and coop, feed them scratch to busy with all being in tight quaters. A few pecking order tifs and there was some squables while jockeying for the best roosting spots but overall it when great. Eggs are still flowing and everyone seems to getting along but the pullets still keep their distance.

Thanks again!

I will be starting the same process tomorrow and I am going about it the same way. It is encouraging to hear it worked well. This website is very informative.

GREAT MINDS.... Mine are free ranging together as we speak. Pretty much the same ages, just more. Total of 24. Do you have a roo?
The teens stay at arms length, so I will try the treat thing. Good idea
fl.gif
I open both gates as they share a fence line. Some even go into the old girls coop at dusk. I've moved them back to their own for now because I was afraid they would get picked on. Not sure if I should just leave them where they roost
idunno.gif

I'm working on integrating just one new youg'in (4 mths) into a group of adult hens (4), first tried the evening intro before bed, no luck. So now I've crossed fenced their yard with the green nylon "chicken wire" fencing material. My 'boss' adult hen (a Barred Rock) still paces the fence line when the newbie approaches but I'm thinking after a bit of face time and exposure they'll get over it. Plus I'll be adding two more hens in about two weeks, I'm thinking that it might be better to let the three newbies all mix at once (almost equal numbers and all...). So should I let the three new ones become buds for a week or so and then mix both groups? ? The other two new ones are 6mths and 1.5 yrs...
(This is all obviously after appropriate quarantine times)

Quote:
No roo. When I let them free range after I get home from work they 2 flocks tend to seperate but when I bring out treats they all come a running and eat together with minimal conflict. Chickens will be chickens so they will test each other from time to time. From what I can tell the Top 3 older hens are still on top and are not being challenged anymore. The pullets just stay out of their way now. # 4 hen and #5 omega hen seem to be in the most tifs. Which is understandable, who want to be on the bottom?

Good luck with your intergration.

I left the teen that roosted in the big coop. This AM they seemed terrorized
ep.gif
I scooped them up and put them back into the teen coop
sad.png
So I will continue to have them free range in the evening... but take them out @ night. The last time I integrated a flock there was no problems @ all. And YOUR RIGHT... It's the low hen on the totem pole that are being the buggers. SLW and BR's ~ no one else cares as long as I have treats for all
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom