Thank You For Being A Hen....The Gossett Girls (coming soon)

gossettk76

Chirping
Dec 16, 2018
Davidson County, North Carolina
Hey guys! I'm new to BYC and I'm in the process now of building my first coop. I was just wondering where y'all get your chickens? Tractor Supply or from a hatchery or somewhere else?? I'm seriously thinking about getting Australorps for starters since they're friendly, dependable and laid back. Any kind of feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys!!

Welcome to BYC! I bought most of my chickens from my local feed store who gets theirs from Ideal Poultry. I like dealing with my local feed store but they only have chicks in the late winter/early spring. Out of 30 chicks I only got 2 roosters. The last 7 I bought were from Tractor Supply. Thought I was buying sex links but turned out to be Rhode Island Reds (all turned out to be hens). I love my Black Australorp and she is a good layer.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I got my first chicks from a hatchery, added 3 pullets I bought from a farm in PA when the original chickens were 6.5 months old and will be ordering more chicks from the same hatchery this spring.
I have 1 black Australorp who is a good layer but terribly skittish.

Hey guys! I'm new to BYC and I'm in the process now of building my first coop. I was just wondering where y'all get your chickens? Tractor Supply or from a hatchery or somewhere else?? I'm seriously thinking about getting Australorps for starters since they're friendly, dependable and laid back. Any kind of feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys!!
Google there are many Hatchery. Maybe you have a local breeder around your area too.

:welcome

My first batch of chicks were from CraigsList (refuse to try that again). The second batch, and much healthier, were from a hatchery. This third batch were from a fellow BYC'er and they've been great girls too.

Best wishes to you, make yourself at home here!

Egg Basket.jpg

You will love Australorps!

Back
Top Bottom