Thanks

I would say no, and I would say, that would be a huge responsibility to put on a rooster. Human beings are not in the normal range of a predator, plus a chicken is supposed to be OK with people. You can't expect a chicken to be able to tell the difference between people he's supposed to chase away and people he's supposed to be OK with. And then of course, even if he did go after the neighbor kids, he would be deemed "mean" and people might want him killed.

It's going to be your responsibility to protect the hens from children, not the rooster's. Very sorry about that.

I had a neighbor kid who used to throw rocks at my sheep, so I had to explain to her why that was a rotten thing to do since her parents did not have enough sense to tell her. I only had to get after her a couple of times and she quit doing it. Children can be tricky to deal with, and if it's hard for us, what possible chance does a rooster have?

I would say no, and I would say, that would be a huge responsibility to put on a rooster. Human beings are not in the normal range of a predator, plus a chicken is supposed to be OK with people. You can't expect a chicken to be able to tell the difference between people he's supposed to chase away and people he's supposed to be OK with. And then of course, even if he did go after the neighbor kids, he would be deemed "mean" and people might want him killed. 

It's going to be your responsibility to protect the hens from children, not the rooster's. Very sorry about that.

I had a neighbor kid who used to throw rocks at my sheep, so I had to explain to her why that was a rotten thing to do since her parents did not have enough sense to tell her. I only had to get after her a couple of times and she quit doing it. Children can be tricky to deal with, and if it's hard for us, what possible chance does a rooster have?
Well I hope he makes noise if someone tries to mess with his ladies. I keep an eye on them and only let them out when I'm home. I was just wondering if he'd make some sort of indication that people are messing with his ladies. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

How are the kids messing with the chickens? Are they coming onto your property to do so, or are your chickens roaming onto theirs?

A good rooster will very likely try to protect his hens that is true. I cannot for a minute let you assume however that ANY chicken can stop the apex predator of our world from doing whatever said humans want to do. Sure they might be driven off the first time or two but a determined human can easily do whatever it wants to your poor rooster. As stated above that is a huge responsibility to expect the Roo to handle. YOU are the flock's last best chance for peace.

How are the kids messing with the chickens? Are they coming onto your property to do so, or are your chickens roaming onto theirs?
I'm the only house around. They live in a trailer next to my house, but the chickens never go there, someone has mean guineas and dogs over there. I've seen the little kids try to hit my hens with tree branches, and one time when they were walking their dog, and I heard the little boy say "GET THE CHICKENS!" But my family was outside and the kids got close, until noticed they noticed us and ran away.

A good rooster will very likely try to protect his hens that is true. I cannot for a minute let you assume however that ANY chicken can stop the apex predator of our world from doing whatever said humans want to do. Sure they might be driven off the first time or two but a determined human can easily do whatever it wants to your poor rooster. As stated above that is a huge responsibility to expect the Roo to handle. YOU are the flock's last best chance for peace.
Yeah, thanks. I'm looking for him to intimidate them kind of. I don't have a problem watching them, as I catch the kids every time, but I want him to make them think twice before messing with them.

I would not get a rooster just for the sake of hoping it "intimidates" the neighbor kids. If he challenges them, they would likely escalate their behavior in trying to intimidate him. If he attacks them, you'd likely be liable for any injuries caused even if they were on your property. How old are these kids? Have you tried talking to them? Their parents? Have you filed a report with your local law enforcement? When you catch them trying to hit your hens with sticks, take pictures and turn them in, Maybe a visit from the police would be enough to scare them.

Just my opinion but this whole idea is irresponsible.
You ever seen a rooster flog someone let alone a child? A child could recieve serious injuries like a loss of an eye.
Talk to their parents instead.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom