Thanksgiving Hatch- Anyone want to join in?

Quote:
Yay! I'm glad to hear you were able to get more mystery eggs!

I took out two duck eggs tonight that candled clear. I am trying to increase the humidity, but it was already a little on the high side. The air cells, displaced at first, were a little large to start with on the duck eggs and it's gotten worse. Actually, they are a bit of a mess, but I see legs kicking and such.

The silkies and seramas I really can't see in that well. I think I have some developing. Regardless, I'm going to let them stay for the full ride, just to be sure.

I just went to the coop and candled my eggs.... this is only the 2nd time I've ever candled. It looks to me like 5 out of the 6 have bloodvessles... the 6th egg I couldnt really tell, its one of the ee eggs I put under my broody.

So far 2 infertile, 4 with blood rings out of 55 set so I'm down to 49 with about 10 questionable since their shells were either too dark or too splotchy to see through.

grats guys... awsome candling results....

i candled mine and pulled out 3 of my whites... 2 had blood rings, 1 was a dud... i could see veins in one of my browns, but i ony candled 2.. i'll check them better in a few days.. and my greens.... yeah... no clue... no light is penetrating those suckers...

All of my 15 in the incubator ready for the staggered hatch on the 28th and 29th look good. They all have dark masses floating in them. I have never candled before so i am not sure what i am looking for.

I never explained the confusion regarding the 5 eggs that my Egyptian is setting on out in the coop that inspired my incubator obsession. She originally started a few eggs a week before Halloween. On the morning of Halloween she moved one nest box over to set so my H moved the eggs... (duh) and then other hens came and laid in the original box. My sons found cold eggs in her original box and decided to throw them into the woods. They talked to me about it and i told H and he said he had moved some. Meanwhile my 15 hens were doing their daily laying. By the time i got to the coop there was no way i could logically straighten out the mess. I took all the days eggs and put 6 under Egyptian and put question marks on all the rest for the fridge. That left the broody with 5 eggs from mixed mamas, and one of her own. One of the eggs got broken (having an embryo in it - again sad sad) which left her with 5 that i numbered with a pencil the day i gave them to her . This experience led me to purchase an incubator and start more in the house on Nov 8th but that is another story. Anyway, Egyptian won't leave the nest to drink so i take her off once a day and she eats a bit, drinks a TON and promptly goes back to her eggs. WELLLLLL, this afternoon i went to the coop to follow the ritual and when i gently lifted her off the eggs a little black object darted out from under her.... A BABY!!!!! WOO HOO, one week early. All i can guess is that one egg i randomly chose was one of the eggs that had already been under her a week. PLUS, it was the only egg that was my Egyptians. How fitting huh? Now i have a hen sitting on 4 more eggs that still have a week, plus has one chick, and i am unsure how to proceed, but at least i have the incubator going and worst case scenario i can move them inside to hatch if she looses interest because of the baby. Boy, this first hatch has sure turned out to be crazy!!! Baby looks like an Egyptian chick and does not have the plume on its head like its Polish daddy. I am attaching a pic... This is such an exciting day!!!! I emailed pics to all my friends and family. ITS A BABY ITS A BABY!!! Only you guys can fully understand how i feel tonight wink Thanks for listening! (did i mention how EXCITED I AM???)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44260_chick.jpg

I have some Copper Black Marans and Barnevelders due on T-Day
cool.png

rofl... those are good names... i like it....

intenschk, that little pic you took is ssoo sweet... good luck with the rest of your 3 ring circus hatch :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom