Thanksgiving Hatchalong

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Chrysolinsbirds, Oct 20, 2015.

1. laura s

laura s Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    Homestead Florida
    Whoop, best spousal unit ever. He gave me 7 cemani eggs for our anniversary. In the incubator now. Hatch date is 11/21. Cross your fingers (and toes)

1 person likes this.
  2. Hawk12

Hawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID

So sweet! Good job Mama ♡

3. ttakas

ttakas Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Metter, GA
    Never done a hatch-a-long before but here it goes. 26 eggs set 11/2, lockdown 11/20 and due date is 11/25. Had set a batch 10 days ago but my special needs daughter cooked them (turned temp knob on incubator and alarm on thermometer never went off, 135 degrees inside my water weasel [​IMG]), but hubby said I could try again. (Those were my first time buying eggs too). Anyway I set 7 from my barnyard mix, 12 from my mom's neighbor's barnyard mix (they had been refrigerated for a day or two so not getting my hopes up too much on them), bought 6 Araucanians eggs and one pavlovskaya egg. Using a styrofoam incubator with auto turner. [​IMG]

4. tiffani day

tiffani day Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Vicksburg Mississippi
    Well so much for setting tomorrow was informed that the eggs that were being collected for me had been put in the refrigerator. She starting again today and is putting a note on the box.

5. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Bummer!

6. Lamancha

Lamancha Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Oregon
    I had a change of plans too. I was gonna set a ton of chicken eggs but my husband gave me that "I married a crazy person" look, so I hard boiled them all. Hahaha. :rolleyes:

OK, not quite all of them. I stuck 17 duck eggs in the incubator. I set some duck eggs for the Halloween HAL, but none were fertile. Here's hoping a few weeks changed that. If they hatch, it will be 6 days after Thanksgiving.

7. ttakas

May 16, 2013
    Metter, GA
    Sorry they were infertile, we got rid of our ducks last year as my hubby discovered he was allergic to duck eggs (long story and Doctor/ER visits). I haven't incubated since February when hubby gave me the "your getting obsessive" speech. But I got the green light so fingers crossed.

8. Lamancha

Lamancha Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Oregon

Thanks. I think they may be fertile this time because I finally saw them mating the other day. I'm sorry to here about your fryed eggs. I hope your daughter doesn't feel bad.

9. ttakas

May 16, 2013
    Metter, GA
    She is very developmentally delayed (Down Syndrome and Autism, but that's another forum [​IMG]) so no after the initial getting in trouble she doesn't feel bad. We did put another safety precaution on the incubator dial so it doesn't happen again. Our ducks used to make me laugh, every time they mated the female would immediately get in her pool and wash up. It was really funny.

10. ameliadanielle

ameliadanielle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Georgia
    [​IMG]
    We've got four babies now! One is partridge which is strange... our only partridge hen is a silkie and none of her eggs were in the nest. Maybe genetics from the silkie rooster, as we have proof that he is the daddy. I thought these babies were smaller than normal but we now also have proof.

[​IMG]

They are all small, smaller than I remember seeing any full size chicken chicks being. So we are going to have a batch of half silkie half laying hen chicks. This will be interesting. Especially as these eggs were laid after the silkie rooster was separated for about a week but now I know that hens can hold sperm for a few weeks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by