Thanksgiving recipes!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Charlene, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I've been doing the same old Thanksgiving recipes for a long time. Turkey, stuffing with chestnuts, mashed potatos, sweet potatos (sticky sweet like my husband likes it) and cranberry sauce.

Please share any of your favorite recipes! I'm looking for inspiration!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Hey where's the green bean casserole? Homemade mac and cheese? Bread? Pecan pie? ?????

3. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    We only have 6 people usually so the mac cheese, though I'd like to do, we can't do. But man, it would be good. And honestly we've swtiched the veg around from broccoli to asparagus to beans. A good veg recipe would be great. I'm considering 7 layer salad.

Dessert has to be berry pie and cheesecake. There would be a riot if I changed that! LOL!

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    here is our traditional menu
    turkey
    dressing(cornbread)
    mashed taters
    asparagus
    shuck beans
    cranberry sauce
    homemade mac & cheese
    gravy
    rolls
    deviled eggs
    ham
    blueberry cheese cake
    cherry cheesecake
    pumpkin rolls
    pumpkin pie
    lemon pie

no green bean casserole cause my family doesnt like it. i normally fix a sweet potato casserole but dh desided he didnt want one this year but i love them
    it is so simple to make.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    TURKEY RECIPE

I thought this sounded good! Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing ingredient -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when turkey is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out.
    Give this a try.

Ingredients

1 - 15 lb. turkey
    1 cup melted butter
    1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good)
    1 cup un-popped popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT IS BEST)
    Salt/pepper to taste

Cooking Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt,and pepper.
    Fill cavity with stuffing and the un-popped popcorn. Place turkey in baking pan making sure the neck end is toward the front of the oven, not the back.
    After about 4 hours listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's butt blows the oven door open and the bird flies across the room,.... it's done.

And, you thought I didn't know how to cook...

PICTURE

[​IMG]

igorsMistress likes this.
  6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    But, if it doesn't pop... oh wait. You are a dentist. never mind, your kids teeth are in good hands. [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I'm a vegetarian (and a terrible cook) and my mom came up with the following tasty and easy recipe (although I don't have exact amounts, I eyeball and taste it throughout):

Stuffed Squash
    You'll need some acorn or butternut or similar squash
    Some stuffing of your choice
    Vegetarian sausage
    Onion
    Celery
    Veggie broth
    Salt and pepper
    Maple sugar if interested
    Butter

Cut your squash in half and gut the seeds and stringies. Give the guts to the chickens.
    Butter the flesh of your squash, then salt and pepper them to taste and add maple syrup here if interested. Poke them with a fork a few times.
    Place them on tin foil and wrap them up so there's a little bit of air circulation at the top and bake fleshy side up at 350 for 20 to 40 minutes until they start to get soft.
    In a saucepan combine some more butter, and some chopped up onion and celery to taste +/- salt and pepper. After cooking a few minutes I add the cut up veggie sausage. Once this mixture browns and softens a bit I add the broth and then finally the stuffing. Mix well.
    Mound this stuffing in your squash holes, then wrap squash back up with tin foil and continue to cook on 350 until the squash is softened (pinch them to tell). Once that occurs I open the tin foil and brown the tops in the oven for a few minutes.

9. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    And we also make potato casserole (it really sounds quite disgusting when recipe'd out... it's fantastically yummy):

you'll need:
    1 bag frozen hash browns (i use ore-ida southern style hash browns)
    cream of x soup (where x is celery or chicken)
    8 oz cream cheese
    stick of butter
    salt
    large onion
    corn flakes
    and 1 more butter stick melted

in sauce pan combine: can of soup, cream cheese, stick of butter, salt to taste and the chopped up onion. Melt while stirring.
    In a large bowl put your frozen hash browns. When the above is melted, throw it in the bowl and mix to cover the taters.
    Spread this mixture in a large PAMed 9x11 or similar baking dish.
    In a ziplock bag place 4 cups of corn flakes and smash them. In a small bowl put the crushed flakes and mix the melted butter in. Cover your taters with this evenly.
    Bake about 45 minutes in 350 degrees.

10. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    And you also can't go wrong with individual pumpkin cheesecakes made with gingersnap bottoms... these are so fabulous I might make them tonight.

(I think you can tell I'm hungry and plotting out my Thanksgiving)

http://www.argostarch.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1425

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by