Thanksgiving Stuffing (dressing) recipe....anybody?

chickinlickin

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Ohio
Ok, I've offered to make the stuffing/dressing this year for 2 different Thanksgiving meals (just trying to help out my wife
smile.png
)....but I've never made it before and probably for the last 10 years my wife's sister has made it for that meal, so we don't really have a tried and true way to make it...any real good and real simple recipes?? Maybe it doesn't need to be real simple if it is REAL good....I love good dressing!

I'm all ears......

I use Paula Deen's. My guests love it.
smile.png

Just realized where you're from... it's southern style cornbread dressing. Definitely not stuffing. Having inlaws from Ohio, I've learned that Alabamians and folks from Ohio have very different taste and traditions i.e. collards for new year vs. kraut!

Last edited:
My favorite is mom's recipe and it's simple (although I can't tell you exact measurements offhand). Saute celery and onions in lots of butter. Cut stale bread into cubes. Break up the egg in a measuring cup and add water until it equals 1 cup. Obviously how much dressing you make determines how many eggs.

Mix it all together until it has a moist but not runny consistency. Salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and stuff.
droolin.gif

Quote:
My mom is from Kentucky...and we grew up on cornbread. I still love it (and not the crap you get in the box!!). Always have kraut at new year though...

Can I get Paula Deen's dressing on a web site? I'd love to try it.

Thanks -

Make a box of jiffy cornbread and crumble up the cornbread. Add 6-10 pieces of toast.... cubed or torn.... sprinkle a tablespoon of SAGE and 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning and salt and pepper... mix well and set aside

in a skillet fry up 6-12 slices of bacon.... reserve the drippings..... remove the bacon...... do not clean the skillet.... add 1 cup chopped celery to skillet... 1/2 cup chopped onions ....1 cup water or BROTH.....and sautee..... till clear..

pour onto bread mixture... mix... add crumble up bacon and the drippings and mix well....... either stuff in TURKEY or bake in oven for 350 for 30

I have found that for cornbread stuffing/dressing if you make the cornbread several days/weeks ahead of time and freeze it, take out to thaw the night before it makes a much better dressing. I actually save all my left over cornbread and just add to a bag in the freezer. I also like to use wheat bread slices that I leave out over night to add in. I take the giblets and cook them with green onions and celery and adding chicken/turkey stock to mix, salt and pepper. When mixing for pan dressing, I make mine pretty soupy so that it won't be too dry after baking. This definitely a southern version!!

Our Family Stuffing Recipe--Basic

Dried bread cubes, usually two packages
large onion, diced fine
four stalks cellery, diced fine
two large garlic cloves, diced or pressed
8oz mushrooms, sauted
giblets from turkey, cooked in water, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper
chicken broth
Poultry Seasoning
Pepper
Salt

Cook giblets, minus the liver (unless you really like it) in about two cups of water. Season heavily as the broth will be used in the stuffing. Remove giblets once cooked, remove meat from neck, chop gizzard, heart, ect finely. Be sure to reserve broth. Saute cellery, garlic, onion and mushrooms lightly. Add dried bread, veggies and chopped giblets together, blend well. Add seasoning, mix well. Now here is the key ** add broth from giblets slowly, mixing well after each addition of broth. IF you are going to cook stuffing separate from the bird you can be a little more liberal with the broth, if stuffing the bird be sure its only slightly MORE than damp when you are done mixing. It will gain more moisture from the bird when cooked. If you don't over do the broth you'll get nice and fuffy stuffing instead of soggy glops of flavored bread.

**Variations: add your own seasonings, or kinds of meat. I like to add parsley, rosemary and some extra sage to mine. Sausage is yummy if you don't add too much. Be creative
big_smile.png

1 big pone cornbread
about 5 cups of turkey broth
about 2 tbs of sage
1 onion
about 3 stalks of celery just the ribs from 1 stalk

cook onion celery and sage in turkey broth till tender crumble up your cornbread and add to broth mix together add salt to taste put in a buttered baking pan and bake for about 45 min. on 350

This is from the notes I took watching mom.

Cover guts with water and boil til tender.

While it cools, dry bread in low oven.

Chop into cubes and toss in a large bowl. Chop up guts and peel meat off of neck

Saute chopped celery and onion along with poultry seasoning (however much you want) in a stick of butter til tender.

Pour into bowl with bread cubes. Add guts. Add nuts and apples if desired. Mix well.

Pour gut broth over and toss lightly until moistened.

Stuff bird.

Back
Top Bottom