Thanksgiving Turkey

mullers3acers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 9, 2007
la porte, In
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!

My husband butchered our Thanksgiving turkey last night. All 49 lbs of her. She barely fits in the fridge and the oven. He wanted to cut her in half but I was selfish and wanted bragging rights of cooking her for 30 people. We honestly thought she was only about 30 lbs. At least we'll have leftovers this year.

Wow!!! That's a big turkey.
smile.png

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Last edited:
Need details!

What kind of turkey was she?

How old was she?

About how much food did she go though?

How did butchering go?

What did you use to scald the thing in? A 55 gallon drum!
ep.gif

EDIT: Is that dressed or live weight?

Last edited:
I'm jealous... I was raising turkeys for thanksgiving and christmas, but the darn things disappeared one evening while we weren't home.
sad.png
No free range turkeys for me and mine!
hit.gif

It's my own fault though, should have had better protection for them. *sigh* I'll be better prepared for it next time!

PicturesorVideo013.jpg

She was a broad breasted white; She and the other four who didn't survive arrived in April,2007. She ate with the hens, we fed them chick starter in the beginning,then cracked corn, then when the pigs went to market in the middle of Oct. we started feeding them all pig feed so it wouldn't go to waste.

When my husband and youngest daughter butchered her they wrapped her in a large garbage bag;tied her legs and you know the rest.

To scaled her we have a very large cast iron pot( like the ones you see in peoples' yards with plants in them)

Yes that is dressed weight.

We figured we are going to have to cook her for at least fourteen hour give or take. We just put her in the oven at 10:20 p.m. Nov. 21, 2007. Dinner is set for 1:00 pm Nov 22.

Back
Top Bottom