That one right there, it has something wrong.

Chicken Jimmy

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
Denver, CO
Hello, I am a new backyard chicken owner. I have 4 EE's that have been laying since late July, They are mixed with 1RR,1 Australorp, 1 Barnvelder and 1 Golden Buff that are about 14 weeks old. They are eating Purina's flock raiser with free choice oyster shells and about one handfull of scratch each day. I let them freerange in the backyard for about an hour every other day. It has just dropped below freezing at night for a couple of days. Today I noticed that the smallest of the EE's has something wrong. Behind and under her wing it looks wet and almost like mange. As I was watching her she pecked at it a little bit and one of the other EE's pecked at it a little. I don's see any blood. They have plenty of room the coop is 4x8 and the run is 8x10. Any Ideas on what it is / what I need to do. Thanks.

Sometimes, when I can't see any bugs, I'll dust them and place them in a covered box on paper towels. 99% of the time I will find some sort of bug after 30 minutes.

I was at Murdochs and they had this http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Poultry-Protector-p780.aspx So I used that today. I also changed the bedding and sprayed the coop and run with the Poultry Protector. I plan on spraying them again in a couple of days. Do you know how the chickens would have gotten the lice/mites? Is it something that just happens or did I do something or omit something?

I was at Murdochs and they had this http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Poultry-Protector-p780.aspx So I used that today. I also changed the bedding and sprayed the coop and run with the Poultry Protector. I plan on spraying them again in a couple of days. Do you know how the chickens would have gotten the lice/mites? Is it something that just happens or did I do something or omit something?
They just get them. Did you see any bugs crawl off?

I have been running around all day so I had to do it in the almost dark. So I saw almost nothing.
idunno.gif
I also dusted the whole coop with DE.

Back
Top Bottom