That one right there, it has something wrong.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Jimmy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Chicken Jimmy

Chicken Jimmy New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Hello, I am a new backyard chicken owner. I have 4 EE's that have been laying since late July, They are mixed with 1RR,1 Australorp, 1 Barnvelder and 1 Golden Buff that are about 14 weeks old. They are eating Purina's flock raiser with free choice oyster shells and about one handfull of scratch each day. I let them freerange in the backyard for about an hour every other day. It has just dropped below freezing at night for a couple of days. Today I noticed that the smallest of the EE's has something wrong. Behind and under her wing it looks wet and almost like mange. As I was watching her she pecked at it a little bit and one of the other EE's pecked at it a little. I don's see any blood. They have plenty of room the coop is 4x8 and the run is 8x10. Any Ideas on what it is / what I need to do. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would start by dusting all of them for mites and lice even if you cannot see any.

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sometimes, when I can't see any bugs, I'll dust them and place them in a covered box on paper towels. 99% of the time I will find some sort of bug after 30 minutes.

4. Chicken Jimmy

Chicken Jimmy New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Do i dust them with DE or something else?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. Chicken Jimmy

Chicken Jimmy New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for you help.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're welcome... Keep me posted.

8. Chicken Jimmy

Chicken Jimmy New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I was at Murdochs and they had this http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Poultry-Protector-p780.aspx So I used that today. I also changed the bedding and sprayed the coop and run with the Poultry Protector. I plan on spraying them again in a couple of days. Do you know how the chickens would have gotten the lice/mites? Is it something that just happens or did I do something or omit something?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They just get them. Did you see any bugs crawl off?

10. Chicken Jimmy

Chicken Jimmy New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I have been running around all day so I had to do it in the almost dark. So I saw almost nothing. [​IMG] I also dusted the whole coop with DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by