That possum clawed one of my old girls! Help⁉️

Pics
If she is eating and drinking on her own that is a good sign...she isn't in too much pain.
I don't think you should put anything inside the wound. Keep it clean with the Neosporin on it and it should be good.

I thank you for being here for me. Do you have to leave for the day? I'd say she weighs around 3-31/2 lbs.
This may sound strange, but when I saw how deep the cut on her back is, it reminded me of something I had to do a few years back. I had a sist removed and they packed it with gauze. Everyday I would pull a little out. They said wounds heal from the inside out, or something like that. I have everything I would need to do it. Do you think that would help? Also, I have a very good vet. I don't drive so I can't take her. But if y'all will tell me what I need, all I have to do is call her. She'll mail it to me. I'll have it in the morning.
I have a radiant heater on them now. Will that make it dry out quicker? My house is 70*, is that warm enough or too warm?
They need it warm. The heater is fine but if she’s all dry from last nights bath aim it near them but not at them.

I’m very familiar with that type of wound dressing. It’s very effective, but I’m not 100% certain it’s indicated here.
@casportpony, what do you think about this?

Offer water.
Is she drinking willingly?
If not really push fluids or wet foods.

I’m very familiar with that type of wound dressing. It’s very effective, but I’m not 100% certain it’s indicated here.
@casportpony, what do you think about this?
I have treated large, deep wounds, but never used that method, so can't comment on it. :idunno

If the wound is deep, then antibiotics may be good. The OP has clindamycin. Dosage is 5 mg per pound given twice a day. It is usually for more serious wounds such as bone infections, and probably is not the best choice for skin wounds. Here is a thread about antibiotics and usage including clindamycin:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/antibiotics.73452/
Something like clavamox, amoxicillin, might be better for the wound if a vet can help. You can buy FishMox online easily for future use.

I gave dosage info for the medicam (meloxicam) yesterday evening in post 14 and it was given again by staceyj in post 40. That is what I would use for pain. Tylenol should never be given to a chicken. Stacyj also pointed out that you can get a weight by weighing yourself holding the chicken, then subtract your weight for the chicken’s weight. If she is a speckled sussex that is grown, my guess would be about 6-7 pounds. Five pounds is about the average size for many chickens.

This thread has moved so quickly, it might be good to go back and reread posts. Glad your hen has her buddy for companionship. Hopefully, she will be fine with your treatment.

If the wound is deep, then antibiotics may be good. The OP has clindamycin. Dosage is 5 mg per pound given twice a day. It is usually for more serious wounds such as bone infections, and probably is not the best choice for skin wounds. Here is a thread about antibiotics and usags, including clindamycin:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/antibiotics.73452/
Something like clavamox, amoxicillin, might be better for the wound if a vet can help. You can buy FishMox online easily for future use.
I agree, or maybe even Keflex.

I gave dosage info for the medicam (meloxicam) yesterday evening in post 14 and it was given again by staceyj in post 40. That is what I would use for pain.
X2

Tylenol should never be given to a chicken.
Agree
Stacyj also pointed out that you can get a weight by weighing yourself holding the chicken, then subtract your weight for the chicken’s weight. If she is a speckled sussex that is grown, my guess would be about 6-7 pounds. Five pounds is about the average size for many chickens.
Agree, unless she is unusually small for her size.
his thread has moved so quickly, it might be good to go back and reread posts. Glad your hen has her buddy for companionship.
Good idea, that's what I am trying to do. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom