That stray cat..

Any mammal can get rabies but some mammals get it more than others because they mingle with wildlife, have lower vaccination rates, and mingle with humans. That's why cats are the #1 rabies vector among domestic animals, not cows.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...tr_-_rabies_in_cats_fact_sheet_-_06-04-12_pdf

Quote:
a. Cats are the most common domestic animal to test positive for rabies in the United States. Nationally, reports of rabid cats outnumber reports of rabid dogs 4 to 1. Cats are also less likely to be vaccinated against rabies compared to dogs, which further increases their risk of developing rabies

b. Although rabies is much more common in wildlife such as raccoons, skunks and bats, cats hunt and, thereby, often find and eat incapacitated or dying wildlife that may be ill from rabies. Rabid cats are especially concerning because humans tend to have more direct and frequent physical contact with cats when compared to the others.

c. Rabid cats are an especially serious problem in Pennsylvania. From 2008 to 2010, Pennsylvania reported more rabid cats than any other state.

d. Most human exposures to rabid cats in Pennsylvania involved feral (free roaming or stray cats). Most often multiple persons, and in some cases also livestock, were bitten.

War Chicken, according to the CDC, exposure to rabid dogs is the cause of 90% of human exposures to rabies and of over 99% of human deaths worldwide. I can tell by the list of deseases you have associated with cats that you really have minimal knowledge of the subject. Don't let your personal hatred of a pet species bias you so much in a public forum not dedicated to people like you.

War Chicken, according to the CDC, exposure to rabid dogs is the cause of 90% of human exposures to rabies and of over 99% of human deaths worldwide. I can tell by the list of deseases you have associated with cats that you really have minimal knowledge of the subject. Don't let your personal hatred of a pet species bias you so much in a public forum not dedicated to people like you.

According to this post, the topic is about stray and feral cats (invasive species/predators/pests) not pet cats that are properly kept indoors.

I didn't associate the diseases with cats. I just did a Google search and copied-pasted from the first list of zoonoses that listed diseases carried by cats and mice/rats. I had nothing to do with the creation of the lists nor did I use separate lists as sources.

I looked all over the CDC to try to verify your claim and this was all I could find:

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/dsRabies/index.html

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom