That Thar Show Thang

Alagirl

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Central Alabama
Many questions:
How does one find out about poultry shows?
and entries, for that matter.

what is expected of a show chicken, besides being pretty.
Do they need to accept handling?

I have no illusions that my box store chicks are exceptional.
I do however want to get into supporting our local county fair, which is this point is a carnival first and foremost, without all those things we come to expect having watched countless hours of TV over a lifetime.

And I do hope they have classes for other than future chicken owners, AKA kids.

I have no idea about poultry shows. I’d be interested myself in what’s around. I’m in Tuscaloosa County and haven’t heard of any.

Show chickens are usually pure breeds. Uniform coloring. Perfect feathers. Breed specific parts(combs, unique feathering, and whatnot).

And your local county extension office may have some info about it all. Or at least who WOULD know.

yeah, that was my next thought.
Lord knows what is floating around on show grounds

Yeah.

I've had the same temptation -- the local fair's show barn is only one building with only a handful of animals of various kinds. I'd love to take some birds and make a display with backyard chicken info, etc.

But I want to get NPIP certified so I'm not going to do it. :(

how does NPIP influence the showing?

because of the exposure?

IIRC, if I have a NPIP certified flock I can't bring any new chickens onto the property except new-hatched chicks and I can't take a chicken out and bring it back.

I'm not 100% sure though because it varies from state to state and good information for NC is surprisingly difficult to find.

IIRC, if I have a NPIP certified flock I can't bring any new chickens onto the property except new-hatched chicks and I can't take a chicken out and bring it back.

I'm not 100% sure though because it varies from state to state and good information for NC is surprisingly difficult to find.
I looked at Alabama info, it stated from NPIP certified sources only, but did not mention exhibitions. Nor age restrictions.
I am sure that leaves the Walmart of Chicken stores out.

How does one find out about poultry shows?
and entries, for that matter.
Poultry Show Central: https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/
It shows you show places and dates in your state and their catalogs that you enter in.
what is expected of a show chicken, besides being pretty. It’s supposed to meet the American Standard of Perfection by which all chickens are judged.
Do they need to accept handling?
Yes, but judges know how to handle birds of all personalities and as long as the bird isn’t insane/throwing itself against the wall it should be fine. Since you raised it I imagine it’s fine.

Also, your birds probably need to be pullorum/typhoid tested. Though I’m not sure for your state.
Are you interested in fairs or shows? Fairs likely won’t have much competition for adults/open class, meanwhile at APA shows, there’s a more competition for the open show.

Back
Top Bottom