That Was FUN!

herfrds

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Montana
I chaparoned a school ski trip yesterday. I have ski'ed for years, but have pretty much wrecked my left knee so any hard core skiing is out.
Well the ski resort has this new thing that they got from Austria.
It is called a snow bike.
You sit on it just like a regular bike, but there is a ski on the front and under the seat. You wear regular ski boots with little ski's on your feet.

You don't use your feet to steer and that was the hard part remembering that. You use your hips to make the ski under the seat slide side to side to help you turn or slow down.

Had a couple of Oh Crud moments getting the hang of it, but it was fun.

On a good note my knees are not killing me this morning like last year.

You have to get a lisense to rent the bike and you have to take a 2 hour class and your instructor has to sign off on it.

How in the world do you get that thing on a chair lift?
idunno.gif

It wasn't easy the first couple of times, but I got the hang of it.
You put the bike to the side so the rail of the chair passes between you and the bike. Once you clear the ramp you bring the bike in front of you and you hook the seat over the arm part of the chair.
It's difficult to explain, but it hooks on the chair and you just reverse what you did getting on to get off.

It's not a real heavy bike. Just guessing here now it might weigh between 10-15 pounds.

found a picture of the type of bike we used. It is the yellow Brentor bike.
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQsAQwAA&biw=1001&bih=525

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom