The “Kwack Howse” is finally finished!

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
It took 7 months to build, but my new duck house is finally finished! Complete with heated nest boxes, insulation, storage, preditor protection, rodent deterrent, cedar siding, and old fashioned homemade whitewash. I am a 57 year old woman who has never built anything like this before. I bought instructions off Etsy for a chicken coop and changed them to better fit me and my ducks. Had I known how much work it would be I might have reconsidered but I saved money doing it myself. Spoiled ducks, and it is only for night time as they free range in my garden during the day.
5464DBA8-405C-47D8-9497-90302E1CC999.jpeg

323BE926-6F9A-42DC-AD84-A278C0636496.jpeg

26FCF728-90AA-4C61-84EA-CE2185093AE6.jpeg
4F0B0E02-A697-4529-B46F-34C778A8B26E.jpeg

LOOKS GREAT! Good job!

Love how your dog is posing in that first shot!

One question though: why heated nest boxes? I would be worried about electrical faults causing a fire, and the need for them to begin with. Also, why insulation? (guess that's two questions)

It took 7 months to build, but my new duck house is finally finished! Complete with heated nest boxes, insulation, storage, preditor protection, rodent deterrent, cedar siding, and old fashioned homemade whitewash. I am a 57 year old woman who has never built anything like this before. I bought instructions off Etsy for a chicken coop and changed them to better fit me and my ducks. Had I known how much work it would be I might have reconsidered but I saved money doing it myself. Spoiled ducks, and it is only for night time as they free range in my garden during the day.
View attachment 3354828
View attachment 3354829
View attachment 3354830View attachment 3354831
Wow that’s amazing!!

I love the coloring on the outside 😍

LOOKS GREAT! Good job!

One question though: why heated nest boxes? I would be worried about electrical faults causing a fire, and the need for them to begin with. Also, why insulation? (guess
LOOKS GREAT! Good job!

One question though: why heated nest boxes? I would be worried about electrical faults causing a fire, and the need for them to begin with. Also, why insulation? (guess that's two questions)

LOOKS GREAT! Good job!

Thanks! I think my dog was jealous because it took me so long.

I wanted the heated nest boxes because I don’t like frozen, cracked eggs. Also, my oldest hen, Kwackers (5 1/2 years old) spends the first half of her day in the coop. I assume she is cold. The box is lined with pads used to start seeds. They are waterproof and only raise the temperature 10-15 degrees above air temperature. I am sure I am a Southern wimp compared to the temperatures you and others deal with. But, we have drastic changes which we and I assume the ducks struggle with (or it is in our heads). Today it was 56 F (13 C), Thursday is supposed to get down to 2 F (-17C). We aren’t used to that cold.

Why insulation? I only have 5 ducks so they only generate so much heat snuggling. The rest of the coop is wire mesh and the door to their house stays open, so, insulation aids in keeping them warm and free from drafts. The Cedar siding on the outside leaves cracks between each board. Having a layer of styrofoam and then plywood gives them the best warmth I could think of. The insulation and interior walls will come out for the summer.

Its fabulous! well done. I built my duck house with help from a neighbor to my own design. Its good but I need to raise it on cinder blocks as I am stooped almost right over when there is 12 inches of deep layered bedding!! Your design looks great.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom