The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Candled again, no sign of life. Shut off the incubator. Moved the older group out to the porch- They are like 90% feathered. They should be able to handle 60ish degrees at night this point right? The Bresse and SFH are 4 weeks 4 days the Favorelles are slightly less feathered and about 3 weeks 5 or 6 days old. The Porch doesn't get as cold as the outside but will be around 60ish when the outside hit 54 tonight? Should I be safe leaving them without heat lamp at this point? They haven't had one on in the bathroom for over a week but it's been like 85 in the bathroom with the incubator running. The forecast pic is included. The Porch probably stays 8-10 degrees warmer than the outside.

The quail were really into everything, 2 of them had somehow shoved themselves under the pan the eggs were on... Was crazy.
upload_2019-4-22_17-16-26.png

For my old one, I bought one that worked from Amazon.
I'll never be without a decent back-up again! Thanks for the tip - I've found someone with an indoor/outdoor small animal heater pad that can either be laid flat or hung along a wall. It's designed for small kennels and outdoor rabbit hutches, but I can use it as an emergency back-up brooder pad. Once my regular brooder & fail-safes are set up to my satisfaction (certified by the Department of Redundancy Department,) I can probably use the pad for winter freezes.

This little one is NOT from my Easter HAL batch, but this is one of the 'just in case' Easter-egger chicks I ordered when I learned that only three of my EHAL eggs were developing. I just picked them up today and I had to share because she's just so fluffy!! :love :love

View attachment 1748248

Wow, she's sooo fluffy! you should enter her in the cutest chick contest! the link is in the first post of this thread.

Broody hen hatch final results.

Initial Set: 12
Final Set: 9
Final Hatch: 7

Mama Hen doing fine with her chicks. Finally got up off the nest and started eating and drinking.

2 BCMs
2 Golden Laced Barnevelds
1 Silver Laced Barneveld
1 Jubilee Orp
1 Olive Egger
Eeeeeeek phooooootooooooooooossssssssssssss
:eek::drool

Candled again, no sign of life. Shut off the incubator. Moved the older group out to the porch- They are like 90% feathered. They should be able to handle 60ish degrees at night this point right? The Bresse and SFH are 4 weeks 4 days the Favorelles are slightly less feathered and about 3 weeks 5 or 6 days old. The Porch doesn't get as cold as the outside but will be around 60ish when the outside hit 54 tonight? Should I be safe leaving them without heat lamp at this point? They haven't had one on in the bathroom for over a week but it's been like 85 in the bathroom with the incubator running. The forecast pic is included. The Porch probably stays 8-10 degrees warmer than the outside.

The quail were really into everything, 2 of them had somehow shoved themselves under the pan the eggs were on... Was crazy.View attachment 1748250
They should be just fine! Just make sure they’re covered from rain and protected if they get wet from drafts.

They should be just fine! Just make sure they’re covered from rain and protected if they get wet from drafts.
Thanks, I'll check on them before I go to sleep to make sure they are aren't looking like they're freezing.
Yeah, it's an enclosed porch, there is just one opening basically used as a dog door and the side of the pen where that opening is is covered on their pen. So there should be very little any real drafts. There's 9 of them so it's not like they can't cuddle for some warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom