The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I apparently have a problem with the circulation in my FI incubator. I will have to check it out once this batch is done. My first chick hatched out Friday morning at 10:30am (the end of day 19). Two hours into day 23, I have 24 chicks, and still going with a pip, and an active zip.
This was my craziest hatch ever! Due Sunday but started hatching Friday and Saturday. Then we had the electrical problem Saturday night and temperature dropped. Had some hatch Sunday. I declared the hatch Sunday evening, but left the eggs in the hatching tray...three more hatched today.

F88FDAFB-916D-4F1A-BC56-C52FF7AEC4C8.jpeg
2E6453DF-348D-45F9-8BF1-4700042523CE.jpeg
7588F7C9-9354-4CD7-AD62-02D5A78261FB.jpeg
4F7B5025-55E5-4ADF-A7C0-E88EBB4F5BC7.jpeg
2DFDAB57-F15D-4278-9E99-E42B68E10CC2.jpeg
005E4DA1-86F3-40E5-8BA0-BDAA905C01FD.jpeg
6E15DF2D-5287-4DFE-82FD-A6761D26D402.jpeg

Unfortunately none of my duck eggs hatched. Had one chicken zip and quit. The worst for hatching was the leghorn and blue eggs (again). I gave 8 to my broody last night and she was happily cooing to them. I think I might give her a surprise late hatcher from this morning. It has an unexpected pattern based on its egg color.

Final count is 27

This was my craziest hatch ever! Due Sunday but started hatching Friday and Saturday. Then we had the electrical problem Saturday night and temperature dropped. Had some hatch Sunday. I declared the hatch Sunday evening, but left the eggs in the hatching tray...three more hatched today.
Crazy, yes, that is the word... Lol. I had 3 hatch today, another is pipped, one should pip any time now, and 2 more that are moving, but way behind in development, they look like day 18 eggs. :idunno

It was a long shot to begin with. I set eggs that my hubby failed to collect because he didn't know about the nest and the weather was pretty cool. I put them under a hen that was broody and she got off the nest one morning and the eggs stayed cold all day. I moved them to another hen that went broody shortly after the first. She stayed on them but two never started and the rest didn't survive the cold day.
I feel bad for the hen. I took her out of my broody coop this morning and removed the eggs. She was in a different nest box this evening sitting tight. I might have to go and see if TSC still has chicks. :rolleyes:

17 hatched out of 41 shipped eggs. Unfortunately, one was a mushy chick with splay leg. That one didn't make it. So I got 3 chocolate cuckoo orpingtons, one lavender orpington with two black splits, two showgirls, two Wheaton ameraucana, two blue laced red wyandotte, and four double silver laced barnevelder.
Nice breeds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom