The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final count, 17 chicks hatched.
20190421_185238.jpg
Found a very welcome but unexpected surprise this morning, a single Partridge Wyandotte! :celebrateThe only one out of nearly 100 chicks this spring. Had begun to think the partridge cockerel was a dud.

Looking like this may be it, nothing else is pipping and I candled the rest of the Bresse eggs, no movement I could see and no internal pips. Looking doubtful for anymore. So I have 8 quail that hatched and 2 White Bresse that hatched( Had to help the one, it got about 40% zipped and got stuck, just finished helping it zip and it finished the rest itself.
The Quail are far more active than the two Bresse chicks. They are everywhere and climbing all over. Tomorrow I'll move the older group out to the porch pin for a couple of weeks before they go outside on the ground with the two hens I have left. Going to take pictures of the 4 I hatched on March 21st to get second opinions on the sexes but I'm almost positive by the combs. The 5 Favorelles chicks all look sexed right from the coloring. My Swedish Flower hen I'm pretty sure is a girl and is at least partly crested lol Looks funny cause the crested part is kind of red.

So, crossing my fingers hard at least 1 of the 2 Bresse that hatched will be a girl so I can have at least 2 pullets and eventual hens to hatch from.

Total chicks hatched = 6 of 8 set, plus 1 duckling & 2 more still in the incubator but not part of the hatchalong. Lost 1 Barred Rock about a week in & 1 Welsummer late dead in shell. I had several chicks pip in the wrong end but was able to save them by pulling early.

Haven’t taken many pics or posted because sons are here for the weekend & spent a lot of time cooking & washing dishes, while attending the hatch too.

On a sad note, one of my son’s Dobermans killed my Embden goose today. He has been after her for a while because she was slower than my other geese and easier to catch up with in the water. The other geese were put up, but she has been trying to set a nest on the island for a couple of months and I couldn’t get her to come in. RIP, Emmy. :hit

Last edited:
Quick laugh years ago I had my second to last litter of puppies named them after South Park characters the breeding gave us 9 but when it came to Kenny there was a episode "OH my they spayed Kenny" well the owner of the sire wanted him so gave her a t-shirt
"They spayed Kenny" with a picture of her puppy

Is there a time deadline? We're still mid-hatch with active pips and all were set on March 30th about 12:30 pm.

No worries for those still hatching. It will probably take a week to get everyone's numbers recorded.

Set 9 all 9 hatched!
:wee
I am absolutely devastated. I put our first four Nankin peeps in the brooder. My EcoGlo brooder plate needs a new cord, which has not yet arrived, so I had a heat lamp on them. The lamp apparently shifted and I have four dead peeps - it took all of about six minutes. My poor babies. This was our best hatch ever - seven, so far, and now this. It's almost enough to make me quit. Almost.
I'm so sorry.

Emptied the chicks into the brooder and was taking the dud egg out when it accidentally dropped and the top crunched. Then I heard a chirp. Oh dammit! It wasn't dead after all. I did a quick extraction so it didn't shrink wrap and it's a chick not quite ready to join the world. (Large yolk sac still; a bit of blood; flopping about)
It's in the incubator in isolation and I don't think it'll make it. Or, if it does, it'll be a couple of days behind the others who are eating and drinking and carousing in the brooder all nice and fluffy.

I feel so badly that I dropped the poor little thing on its head. I certainly haven't done it any favors. Husby is looking on the lighter side and has named our slow chick Timmy. (Southpark reference.)

I'm still leaving my tally at 27 as its chances are slim.
I name it Humpty Dumpty if it lives! :fl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom