the 30s all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lol.png

With all due respect, I disagree. It's not the government's fault this time. I put the blame on materialism and greed. People wanting and buying things on credit that they couldn't possibly afford. Today, I see middle class families with luxuries that only the very wealthy could afford 50 years ago; 14 room mansions with jacuzzi baths, huge chandeliers, marble countertops and 3 and 4 car garages Times are tough alright. I might even have to lay off the gardener and cut back on the lump crabmeat sandwiches I've been having for lunch.

Recession or not - it would be wise for everyone to learn a little bit more about self-sufficiency. You may need to know how to dress and prepare one of your chickens one day and you may not. You may also save some money at this point in your life and not have to rely so much on purchased goods.

Thinking about this does make me nervous, though. It would be wise not to take things for granted.

To quote my grandmother the other day when I asked her what life was like during the 1930s depression....

"What depression? We were broke to begin with. Nothin ever changed for us when it happened or after it ended."

I personally feel pretty secure. Gotta have something before you can lose it!

Quote:
i got 2 smallish friendly dogs, will they work
lol.png

i'm kidding

gig.gif

Unless someone tries to eat them. Then you get to growl and bite the bad guys....
lol.png

If this country is going to avoid a depression they better think about rebuilding our industries. Industrial might is making China stronger daily and the U.S. weaker. We got to the top by out producing the world. High tech and non natural resource based economies always fluctuate but raw resources are the staple of any sound economy.

Quote:
i agree with part of that

but the government is really not helping the situation; they are just printing money like nobodys business! Just lile Germany did to pay up after WWI and that made the poor country go into a depression until Hitler fixed it up (one of few good things Hitler did)

Actually, it wasn't completely the governments fault last time either. During the rroaring 20s, people also bought things on credit which they couldn't pay back.

What we're seeing here today is basically a more futureistic repeat of what happened in 1929

Last edited:
Some people are just not ready mentaly for it and alot of people can not live without mondern day comforts.
How many of you have tried to live like a 1930's family?
gd5.gif

gd50.gif

gd39.gif

I have gone without and lived without alot of things by choice,to save money and sometimes with no choice.
I learned alot from the 2002 ice storm and not haveing power for 4 days in the freezing cold winter.
I now can live through a winter without electricity if I had to.
I don't use an airconditioner.We have 2 and hubby can't live without them.
Me I sit in a room without it and am usally cold when im in an airconditioned room.

Its not just a matter of having the stuff but allso the know how and mentality to get through it..
One thing I do is store what I eat and eat what I store,less chance of having digestion proublems durring a crisis.

If a disater hits those who can roll with it have a better chance then someone who is not use to that kind of life style.

The only thing I am worried about is when the giveme sociaty gets cut off from the free handouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom