The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK anyone know about silkies?

Here is what I have in my pen
White Roo over a white hen and 2 splash hens

I got blue and Idontknowwhat chicks!

I read some and they resemble a blue partridge silkie?????
it sounds like sometimes they turn all blue and sometimes partridge, so my white roo has a partridge gene?
hu.gif

I dont know what went on but I hatched six like this and they are so gorgeous!
The older one has turned alot more silver blue and he is about 2 weeks old now/

oh and here is black betty taking a food break from broodyness

it sounds like sometimes they turn all blue and sometimes partridge, so my white roo has a partridge gene?
hu.gif

WOW, this picture is the closest I've EVER come to possibly wanting a silkie. I'll admit, I'm not convinced a silkie is a chicken.

I think I am the only person in thie Hatch-a-long who just sets eggs and waits till they hatch. Yes, in an incubator. Brinsea Octagon20 Advance EX - set 'em and forget 'em. I check the incubator displays, passively notice how the humidity pump is doing; am I hearing it occasionally or too frequently? What hatches, hatches. What doesn't, well, I didn't have those chicks before so they're not really a loss. I have spent money on other endeavors which haven't
been all that good for me, so I really don't mind "losing money" on eggs I bought that didn't hatch.

Now, once any chicks hatch, well, then I am obsessed with the fuzzy butts and their care.
I guarantee you are not the only one. I am a very "hands off" hatcher. I candle once at about 10 days to remove any not developing, and again at lockdown to remove any quitters. I don't worry about humidity, temp is easy with a Brinsea Spot Check. Everything viable hatches..........so no reason to stress out. I've learned that Mother Nature isn't that finicky. (mostly by error on my part)

Last edited:
I guarantee you are not the only one. I am a very "hands off" hatcher. I candle once at about 10 days to remove any not developing, and again at lockdown to remove any quitters. I don't worry about humidity, temp is easy with a Brinsea Spot Check. Everything viable hatches..........so no reason to stress out. I've learned that Mother Nature isn't that finicky. (mostly by error on my part)
I set it and forget it. especially with the brinsea incubators, all i do is: check it compulsively the first day, turn it a few times every day (no auto turner), keep a vague eye on temp and humidity, candle around day 10, candle before lockdown, bump the humidity and then obsess over the chicks once they are hatched.

hu.gif

Sally - they are gorgeous!

I just candled tonight and there is nothing developing for sure in 6 of 7. The seventh is an Olive Egg and I can't see very well into it, but will give it a few more days.

Watt behind on this thread!
I only candled my Turkey eggs and a couple chicken eggs. Tossed two clear Turkey out of 14. Everything else can just stay until lockdown. I know, how van I just let them be. IDK, just seeing what happens if I do very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom